Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Anniversary Wishes

It was my mom and dad's 40th wedding anniversary yesterday. Making a card for both of them can be challenging as my dad is definitely not a lace and flowers kind of guy. I went with something with clean lines and neutral colors with just a splash of red. I picked red because I did a little research and found that the traditional gift for a 40th anniversary is rubies. Well, my sister and I didn't go that route with their gift (we got them tickets to a show they'll see during their trip to Las Vegas instead), so I figured I'd incorporate it into their card.

I started with a panel out of kraft cardstock. I cut a strip of SEI Alpine Frost Sleigh Ride designer paper, being sure to include some red in the piece, and placed that along the bottom of the panel. I used a piece of brown faux suede ribbon to divide the panel where the patterned and solid papers met.

The top of the panel has a pair of hearts--one from the SU! Always stamp set and one clear ghost heart. These ghost shapes are so much fun to use! i {heart} papers has them in several different shapes. The vanilla heart is stamped with pigment ink, then heat embossed with clear embossing powder for a nice texture. I added a button, threaded with a piece of twine, to draw attention to the clear heart and to hide the glue dot I used to attach it, too. I layered the kraft panel on a Chocolate Chip panel for some contrast, then set the piece on a Riding Hood Red cardfront.

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: SEI Alpine Frost Sleigh Ride designer paper, May Arts brown faux suede ribbon, Heidi Swapp ghost heart

other: Always and Hugs & Wishes stamp sets, Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Real Red Craft ink, Real RedVery Vanilla, Riding Hood Red, Chocolate Chip, and Kraft cardstock, Crystal Clear embossing powder (Stampin' Up!); button, twine (Walmart)

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful Anniversary card Lori! Love the ghost shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing your dad, I think this card is perfect Lori. It captures 40 years of love and dedication while not being frilly or fancy. It has your usual clean line which I love and yet speaks from the heart. There's a swap at Fort Meade March 7, if you are interested. It should be fun. It's a little smaller than Baltimore. I struggle with Baltimore as I am not quick! I am gong in January though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thought your card was just perfect too!!!!! (Just like our kids...)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, Lori! Love it, as obviously your parents did too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, this design is awesome! I love the no frills clean lines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! I love the Bellas above and the bracelet card too! All of your cards are wonderful!! Happy New Year!! Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips