Sunday, January 25, 2009

Papertrey Ink Birthday Blog Hop


The theme for this month's Papertrey Ink Blog Hop is birthdays. It seems that I always need birthday cards and never have any on hand, so I decided that for my Blog Hop project, I'd come up with some quick, easy to reproduce birthday cards.


I approached this like I did one of the recent challenges from one of my blogger groups--same but different. I used the same layout but with different colors and papers to create cards perfect for different people. All of the cards use the new Around & About Sentiments set and PTI patterned paper and ribbon. It took me about 30 minutes to complete these three cards. Gotta love that!

This was my first card. It's designed with a child's birthday in mind. I used some bright striped paper for the large panel on the cardfront, then layered this panel on a coordinating mat. I wrapped a piece of Spring Rain twill around the panel, then attached it to a Spring Rain card base.

I stamped the "happy birthday to you" circle-shaped sentiment on red cardstock. I added the smaller circle and the star image inside the sentiment. This was layered on a slighty larger Spring Rain circle, then attached to the card with a dimensional.

Materials Used:
Around & About Sentiments stamp set, Pure Poppy, Lemon Tart and Spring Rain Palette inks, Pure Poppy, Spring Rain, and White cardstock, Men of Life patterned paper, Spring Rain twill (Papertrey Ink); 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

The next card was designed to be a masculine birthday card. I have such a hard time with masculine cards! A monochromatic brown color scheme seemed to be a good way to go for a masculine look and feel. I started with a kraft cardstock base and added a piece of Chocolate Remix patterned paper as the panel on the cardfront. Instead of tying the ends of the Dark Chocolate twill together, I tied a knot in the piece of twill and wrapped it around the panel. It looks a little more masculine to me this way.

I stamped the solid circle inside the sentiment circle, then added a light brown (almost kraft colored) button with a single white gel pen faux stitch at the center as a simple embellishment.

Materials Used:
Around & About Sentiments stamp set, Dark Chocolate Palette ink, Dark Chocolate and Vintage Cream cardstock, Chocolate Remix patterned paper, Dark Chocolate twill (Papertrey Ink); Kraft cardstock, white gel pen, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); button (Walmart)

The final card is a more feminine version of this layout. I love the look of the bright new Raspberry Fizz against black, so I used that combination for my card. The flower pattern from the Raspberry Fizz Mix pack looked kind of busy to me, so I broke it up a little with a strip of wide black grosgrain ribbon before attaching it to the Raspberry Fizz card base.

I stamped the flower inside the sentiment circle, set inside the small black circle to set it off. I embellished the flower with a black sort-of rhinestone.

I really like this clean and simple layout (just my style) and how quickly these all came together. I think I'll do some more of these for different occasions just to keep on hand.

Materials Used:
Around & About Sentiments stamp set, Raspberry Fizz Palette ink, Raspberry Fizz and White cardstock, Raspberry Fizz Mix patterned paper, True Black grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Basic Black cardstock, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Noir Black ink (Palette); black self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels)

30 comments:

  1. These are adorable Lori! I love the different colour combos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours used, the first card is so unusual.
    Fabulous cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori thanks for sharing these, they are all so adorable and I love that they are simple. I love a simple card, they are my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite kind of card, simple and sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so smart...why reinvent the layout wheel when you already have a winner? Really cute cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what great cards & love the simplicity, yet great variety you've achieved with the different papers/colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! Love how different they look just by changing the colors... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cards are all very pretty! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very versatile card sketch--I love what you've done with it! That set is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Lori! I need ideas for quick cards! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards Lori! Awesoem layout to pump out some birthday cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh...these are great! I love cards that are simple, but at the same time classy. I'll be casing these for some future cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are all great- way to get some cards done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So organized!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cards, Lori! I love how you showed three versions of the same sketch to illustrate how versatile one idea can be! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh what a great idea! I love how easy your approach makes it to have a perfect card for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how the same layout looks so different with change of papers & colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Lori! Howdy do there?!?! Cute cute cards! LOVE them all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute... I like the pink and black color combo the most!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sketch you choose, it works so well with so many colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for a great lay out!! All three cards are great---love a simple classic card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I love them all! Great idea to use the same layout.
    ~Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! Love the 3 different looks for the clean & simple layout!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great layout, I love all of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE them!!! They are all awesome. I doubt I'd be able to pick a favorite and I can definately see that they would work for "different" people!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All of them are so pretty. It would be hard to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice job on all of them. I think my favorite is the Razpberry fizz one though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love all of your same but different cards Lori! I am pretty partial to the Raspberry Fizz, I must say! So glad I finally ordered it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are lovely - very stylish.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips