Friday, February 6, 2009

Blogger Challenge: Week 85

This week’s blogger challenge is a sketch challenge designed for a 3 ½” by 6 ½” card. I broke out some of my new SU! goodies for this one.

I love the cupcake image in the Big Bold Birthday set, so I couldn’t resist adding the coordinating exclusive SU! Sizzlits cupcake die set to my first order from the new catalog. I used the dies to create the cute cupcake on the circle panel on the cardfront.

I must admit that at first, I was puzzled by the die with the dots. Why would someone want to cut out a bunch of dots and then have to arrange them on the cupcake-shaped cutout? Then, it came to me—punch out the dots first from the color you want for the base of your cupcake. Then, run that piece through your die cut machine again, this time using the cupcake die so you have a cupcake base with a bunch of holes in it. After you’ve decided what color you want the dots on your cupcake to be, run that piece of paper through your die cut machine with the cupcake base die. Then, line up the solid (un-dotted) piece behind the dotted piece—the dots will show through! Maybe I’m just clueless, but this was kind of a lightbulb moment for me (sad, I know . . .)

The rest of the card is pretty simple. I added a sentiment from Party Hearty and a piece of Regal Rose ribbon to finish the card.

For more ideas using this sketch, you can visit the rest of the challenge players. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar to the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
Party Hearty stamp set, Bashful Blue Classic ink, Bashful Blue, Pretty in Pink, Barely Banana, and Whisper White cardstock, Big Bold Cupcake Sizzlits die set, Regal Rose 5/8” grosgrain ribbon, dimensionals

20 comments:

  1. Great card Lori, love the colours. This card screams Happy Birthday, very cute.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, great colors for a birthday card and the dies make it so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo sweet! Love the colors - perfect Birthday card! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I hadn't put that together until you mentioned it either! I was curious how the cupcake would look on a card. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Cute Cute! Love this and the colors are fun. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Lori. Love the punched holes in your cupcake...and all that dimension! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME! Now I NEED that die! :) Thanks for being my enabler..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute card! I had that die on my list and switched it out for another one....kicking myself now! LOVE what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great layout. Love the icecream tones! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is terrific Lori! Love the polka dots on the cupcake wrapper! Too cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cute. So cheery and fun, perfect for a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! Makes me want to get this die too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The perfect birthday card..
    splendid job with this paper piecing on the sketch challenge.
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute, Lori! Love the fun colors you used but I'm mad at you cuz now I want that die! Enabler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun card!! Love what you've done with this sketch. And you are right....that 2-tone cupcake base is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori, Super fun version of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cupcake! I was puzzled by the dots too, but never thought of punching them first--great idea! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips