Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Pair of Eyes

So, it's no secret that I love the beautiful papers from My Mind's Eye. I was so excited to see that Kate has lots of the newest patterns in stock at i {heart} papers and I made sure to stock up on my latest order.

I made this card for this week's sketch at Page Plans. This will be my final Page Plans card as it is also the last week of new sketches from Page Plans. Due to time constraints, Chris and Lesli have made the decision to discontinue the weekly card and scrapbooking sketches.

In addition to following the sketch, we were supposed to include 3 patterned papers and use a pastel color scheme. These papers from the MME Penny Lane line were perfect! I paired two different patterns for the panel on the cardfront. Both papers I used have a kind of circular shape as the repeating element, running in straight lines across the paper. I thought that helped to coordinate them. I used a piece of solid pink cardstock for the sketch's vertical panel so I'd be able to stamp a sentiment on the panel. I used a sentiment from the Hero Arts Thoughtful Messages set, stamped in a coordinating blue ink, then paper pierced below the words to draw attention to them.

I counted the die cut butterfly as my third pattern--I don't think that was cheating! I dressed up the butterfly with a trio of self-adhesive pearls along the center, then attached it to the cardfront with dimensionals. It overlaps a piece of taffeta ribbon that I gathered by loosening and gently pulling on one tiny strand from the ribbon. This is such a pretty detail, even though it took me *forever* to separate the threads in the ribbon so I could gather it . . .

Materials Used:

other: Baja Breeze Classic ink, Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, and Pink Pirouette cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, corner rounders, Pretty in Pink taffeta ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

I made this card using more My Mind's Eye papers and this week's sketch from Card Patterns. It took almost no time to put this together using one of the kits. Kate has both the Bloom and Grow Collection Packs at IHP--I couldn't decide between them, so I got both!

I used papers and elements from the Grow Collection here. They're not a color combination I usually use, but I love the combination of blues, greens, and oranges in this kit. The flower and leaf, plus the striped and scalloped paper strips, are from the die cut accessory sheet that comes with the kit. Using these pieces made it easy to put this card together. I added a sparky brad to the center of the flower, then layered it on the circle panels with a dimensional.

I found a piece of coordinating sage colored faux suede ribbon to layer on the card. I stamped the sentiment from the Hero Arts All Occasion Messages set directly on the faux suede ribbon using black Palette ink. I wasn't sure it would work, but it worked beautifully!

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers:
My Mind's Eye Grow Collection Kit, Stemma Silver Wedding glitter brads, May Arts sage faux suede ribbon, Nestabilities circle and scalloped circle dies, Palette Noir Black ink, Hero Arts All Occasion Messages stamp set

other: Aqua Mist, Summer Sunrise, and New Leaf cardstock (Papertrey Ink); mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

12 comments:

  1. Lori these cards are beautiful! I love the new MME papers, too. Gotta get them out soon!

    Thanks for playing along on CP again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the 2nd card....such fun colors and a fun design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you ruffled the ribbon on the top card. Adore your CP card too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, both cards are really cute. Missed you at the swap yesterday but someone did bring Loribread in your honor which I though was very nice! Hope to see you at Reisterstown swap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely cards...the colors are gorgeous! I love the butterfly!
    WHen you get a chance, check out my blog...am giveing away some Blog Candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both cards, but the CP card especially! I'm afraid I am addicted to MME papers too, but only recently realized it. Great creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your cards are great Lori! I always love when your blog pops up in my google reader and I'm like, "oh, that looks like a CP sketch!" and you did in fact join us. That color combo is a fun one. Great card!! Thanks for joining us again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowza! really like your style! lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the card you made for card patterns! So pretty...love the color combination!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your color choices. Great job with the Card Patterns Sketch.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips