Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop

The theme for this month’s Papertrey Ink Blog Hop is backgrounds. PTI has some fabulous sets for building beautiful backgrounds. I have a few of these sets in my collection and there are a few more I want to get my hands on—LOL!

I started out with the plan to use the very versatile Guide Lines set to make a background for my card. I always forget how easy it is to use this set until I pull it out and get started on a project with it.

I was able to create this panel for my cardfront in no time at all. I was going for a masculine look, so I started with a Ripe Avocado cardstock panel and stamped the guide lines on the panel tone on tone in matching Ripe Avocado ink. I tried out a few different image patterns and color combinations before settling on this one, which uses the same pattern in each block and alternates between PTI's Vintage Cream and Ripe Avocado inks.

Once it was finished, I decided that the panel was too nice-looking to cover up and use as a background. Instead, I stamped the guide lines image in Dark Chocolate ink across the entire front of the Dark Chocolate card base, creating a grid patterned background for the card.

Then, I cut down the Ripe Avocado stamped panel a little and used it as the focal image on my card. I placed a strip of Dark Chocolate cardstock across the bottom of the panel, then added a knotted strip of Ripe Avocado stitched grosgrain over the panel. The brown keeps the ribbon from being “lost” against the patterned background.

I layered it on an Ocean Tides panel with distressed edges, then on a kraft panel. The card base is Dark Chocolate, matching the strip across the cardfront. I added a simple sentiment from the new Mega Mixed Messages set. I liked the original version of this set with its wide range of sentiments and fonts, but I think this larger version might be even better!

Materials Used:
Guide Lines and Mega Mixed Messages stamp sets, Ripe Avocado, Ocean Tides, Dark Chocolate, and Vintage Cream Palette inks, Ripe Avocado, Ocean Tides, Dark Chocolate, Kraft, and Vintage Cream cardstock, Ripe Avocado stitched grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); 1 ¼” and 1 3/8” circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); copper brads (Making Memories)

32 comments:

  1. So cool for male cards - im always short on ideas for those so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I dont think I have ever used my guidelines this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH your card is WONDERFUL! love the background stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic card! I love your background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this layout, color combo, everything! Great masculine card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful card for a male. I have the hardest time with that. Love all of your color choices. You rocked the background challenge.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it Lori! Always great to get ideas for masculine cards! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Lori, glad to see a familiar face on the blog hop! love your card. those colors are so me! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh how great!!! Love the masculine set and color palette - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Green is such a classic color, neat job! Like the pattern you created.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so completly beautiful! I never use my white ink??? I really need to dig it out & dust it off! thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great masculine card!! Love the simple knot in the ribbon...pefect for a Father's Day card! :>

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super great card! I love the white on the green. This card really stands out tonight

    ReplyDelete
  15. great "man" card, I always struggle with those

    ReplyDelete
  16. i dont think i would have thought of using set for a man card. i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous, you worked those greens!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this for a male card, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great, simple, masculine card. Great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card Lori! Love the colours you used! Love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These colors are great. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the greens and brown - so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is so pretty - that card is very striking....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lori, your BG is gorgeous! And the touch of Ocean tides on the card really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great masculine card! I have such trouble with cards for men. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very striking! Love the card you came up with.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips