Friday, May 22, 2009

A Pair of Opposites

Here are my last two entries for this month's Viva la Verve challenge. I had some catching up to do since I missed last weekend's sketch because I was at the beach. The first card is a very feminine one, while the second one is designed to be masculine.

For this sketch, the twist was to include your favorite things. I love Verve's Beautiful Kindness set--the butterfly images are so pretty! I stamped the smaller butterfly in Rose Red Craft ink and heat embossed it with Iridescent Ice embossing powder (another fave) for a shimmery look. The patterned paper panel on the cardfront is made from one of my current favorite designer paper collections, My Mind's Eye Bloom and Grow. The colors and patterns in these papers are so fun and they mix and match so well.

I layered cream and rose grosgrain ribbons (love ribbon!) along the side of the patterned paper panel as an embellishment and added a trio of my favorite kind of Dew Drops--the pearly ones--alongside the butterfly image. The panel is set on a Regal Rose card base.

Materials Used:
Beautiful Kindness stamp set (Verve Stamps); Regal Rose Classic ink, Rose Red Craft ink, Regal Rose, Rose Red, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Rose Red grosgrain ribbon, Iridescent Ice embossing powder (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (My Mind's Eye Bloom Collection); Vintage Cream grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink)

Here's my masculine card for this week's sketch challenge. This card came together quickly, in about 15 minutes. I started with the striped paper strip that's along the bottom of the card and worked from there.

The striped paper is attached to a Blue Bayou panel. I added a strip of Always Artichoke cardstock along with a piece of twill tape. I often use twill tape as a substitute for ribbon on masculine cards.

The sentiment from Verve's Father Figure set is stamped in Close to Cocoa ink and inked along the edges with Creamy Caramel ink. I added some copper brads (another of my go-to embellishments for masculine cards) to the corner, using my mat pack to place the brads evenly. I usually just eyeball the placement of the brads, but decided to try the mat pack tonight for piercing evenly spaced holes. I think I made the holes closer together than I would have liked . . .

Materials Used:
Father Figure stamp set (Verve Stamps); Close to Cocoa and Creamy Caramel Classic inks, Blue Bayou, Always Artichoke, Kraft, and Very Vanilla cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, sponge, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); twill tape (Martha Stewart); patterned paper (K & Company); copper brads (Making Memories)

2 comments:

 
Blogging tips