Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Papertrey Ink August Blog Hop

***If you're here for the IHP DT Challenge, scroll down to the next post.***

The theme for this month’s Papertrey Ink Blog Hop is to take your inspiration from all things fall-colors, patterns, symbols, etc. I decided to combine one of my new PTI fall stamp sets with an unusual texture for my blog hop card.

I used my crimper to make a piece of faux felt to use as the large panel for my cardfront. To do this, I repeatedly ran a piece of Dark Chocolate cardstock through the crimper in different directions, then started at one corner of the paper and peeled the layers apart. What you see on the cardfront is the inside of the paper after it’s been roughed up by the crimper. Cool, isn’t it? I stitched the faux felt piece to a cream cardstock panel with my sewing machine, then attached it to a kraft card base.

I used one of the images from the new Autumn Tags 2009 set as my focal image. I stamped the image in Scarlet Jewel ink, then punched it out with a 1 ¾” circle punch. I layered it on a slightly larger Scarlet Jewel mat, then added a coordinating button as an accent. I added a ribbon strip as an unusual background for my sentiment. I’ve found that the Palette inks stamp nicely on grosgrain ribbon, so that’s what I did here. The cream ink makes a nice contrast to the deep scarlet ribbon. Two copper brads finished off the design.

Materials Used:
Autumn Tags 2009 stamp set, Scarlet Jewel and Vintage Cream Palette inks, Scarlet Jewel, Dark Chocolate, Kraft, and Vintage Cream cardstock, Scarlet Jewel grosgrain ribbon, Scarlet Jewel button, twine (Papertrey Ink); 1 ¾” circle punch (EK Success); circle die (Nestabilities); copper brads (Making Memories); dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!)

35 comments:

  1. Very clever idea for making "faux felt"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I thought it was real fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever use of a crimper. Now I need one, LOL.

    Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever way to make faux felt - it looks cool and had me fooled for real fabric!
    A super card too btw!
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool Lori! You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I love the faux felt - what a great idea - thanks for sharing with all of us. Super cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The faux felt is great. Love your stiches as well. You really projected the warmth of the autumn season.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the faux felt and your stitching. The browns with a touch of scarlet are a nice fall combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "felt" is so clever! The scarlet jewel is a great fall color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your faux felt is awesome, great card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool, love the faux felt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look of the roughed up crimped paper! Great fall feel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! What a great idea!
    ~lacey
    www.handstampedbylacey.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good idea to stamp the sentiment on the ribbon. And -- it goes without saying -- the crimper use was ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! THe faux felt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those colors are absolutely gorgeous together. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your faux felt! Great use of the crimper! I will have to give that a try! :) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Using the crimper that way was a great idea...love that brown with the Scarlet Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Creative idea, I always like learning a new technique. And it looks great paired up with the scarlet jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very creative idea. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Scarlet jewel is a perfect color for this card, love the ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the texture of that faux felt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the faux felt Lori! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love your colors! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this is LOVELY! and a GREAT idea.. I am gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. so inspiring!! I love how you did the faux felt!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautifully done! Love the stitching on here!

    ReplyDelete
  28. super cute, Lori!love the faux felt and your colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So pretty--love the faux felt and sewing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips