Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sun and Sport

***If you're here for the CSS Get in Gear Template, check out the post below.***

While watching the Daytime Emmy Awards on TV the other night (yes, I readily admit that soap operas are one of my guilty pleasures . . .), I had a chance to work on a few different sketch challenges. Here’s what I came up with.

This one’s for the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge. I thought the sun image from Unity’s July Kit of the Month would be a perfect fit for the sketch’s large circle panel—and I was right! The sun is colored with Copic markers and embellished with just a bit of sparkle from a clear Stardust pen. I inked a sponge dauber with some Crushed Curry ink to softly ink along the edges of the panel so the white wouldn’t be so bright. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to position the “you are my sunshine” sentiment just right using turquoise ink.

I paired the colored image from coordinating patterned papers from the DCWV Sorbet Stack. A soft blue satin ribbon separates the two patterns. I added a small button-embellished ribbon at the top of the image panel to finish the card.

Materials Used:
July Kit of the Month (Unity Stamp Co.); White Pure Luxury cardstock (Gina K Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Tempting Turquoise and Crushed Curry Classic inks, Tempting Turquoise and Crushed Curry cardstock, sponge dauber (Stampin’ Up!); designer paper (DCWV’s Sorbet Stack); circle dies (Nestabilities); blue satin ribbon (Target); button, twine (Papertrey Ink); clear Stardust pen (Sakura)

This one is for the latest sketch challenge at StampTV. I went for a masculine look here, using images from Melanie’s Just So Sporty and Sporty Accessories sets from Gina K Designs.

I stamped three different balls on squares of white cardstock and colored them with Copic markers as appropriate. To get the textured look on the football and basketball, I dabbed the colored images with a rag dipped in just a bit of Copic colorless blending solution. After arranging the squares on the cardfront, I stamped the individual sections of my sentiment, one on each block, using Soft Suede ink. I added a single silver brad next to the words as a simple, still masculine embellishment.

The rest of the card is pretty simple. The Soft Suede panel on the cardfront is embossed with the Herringbone Cuttlebug folder. I tied a piece of twill, also with a herringbone pattern, around the panel before attaching it to an orange mat and then to the kraft card base.

Materials Used:
Just So Sporty and Sporty Accessories stamp sets, White Pure Luxury cardstock (Gina K Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers and colorless blending solution (Copic); Soft Suede Classic ink, Soft Suede, Pumpkin Pie, and Kraft cardstock, silver brads (Stampin’ Up!); Herringbone embossing folder (Cuttlebug); twill (Martha Stewart)

2 comments:

  1. Love the sun card, it absolutely shines!!! Great choice of stamps for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the sun with the sentiment stamped over the top of it - very cute!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips