Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bee My Valentine

I got some goodies in the mail today from Gina K Designs, including the new Heartily Yours stamp set. When I saw the adorable lava lamp image in the set, I knew I'd have to have it. I must admit that I've had an obsession with lava lamps since I was a little girl. My sister gave me a blue one for my birthday when I was in college (that I still treasure) and I'm thrilled to have one in my stamp collection now, too! Despite my excitement about it, the lava lamp wasn't the first image I used in the set. Instead, I used the cute bee image for this card for today's SCS sketch challenge.

I stamped the bee and the coordinating "bee my Valentine" sentiment on a white oval. The image is colored with Copic markers and the wings are highlighted with a bit of Star Dust Stickles for some iridescent sparkle. The panel is layered on a mat cut from Gina's Sweet Corn cardstock.

I paired the bee with two patterns from October Afternoon's Farm Fresh line. The papers are layered on a card base made from Gina's new Lipstick Red cardstock. The color's a pretty good replacement for SU!'s retired Riding Hood Red, a color I find myself using a lot, so I'm glad there's a good substitute that's easily available for when my stash runs out. I stitched a piece of pleated grosgrain ribbon across the cardfront as the only embellishment. It took up a lot of space, so there really wasn't room for much else.

That's it for tonight. I'm off to watch some Wisconsin basketball--go Badgers!

Materials Used:
Heartily Yours stamp set, Lipstick Red, Sweet Corn, and White cardstock (Gina K Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); designer paper (October Afternoon-Farm Fresh line); Riding Hood Red Classic ink (Stampin' Up); oval dies (Nestabilities); Stardust Stickles (Ranger); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); sewing machine

3 comments:

  1. So cute, Lori! I had hoped my Gina K. order would be here today as well, but there's always tomorrow. Love that Lipstick Red card stock for the same reason: a great Riding Hood Red substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you to get great stuff in the mail. I'm jealous! Love what you do Lori! Thanks for sharing your creativity for this wonderful art we share. Hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable Lori...Gina's paper is FANTASTIC and matches your patterned paper perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips