Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sunflower in the Spotlight

With the long winter hopefully drawing to a close, the Paper Craft Planet Super Novas are looking towards spring. That's the inspiration for our springtime theme for the design team gallery this month. Be sure to check it out for lots of springtime inspiration.

I'm adding this card to the collection later on today. It's inspired by this week's blast from the past challenge on StampTV to use spotlighting. I used the technique on one of the flower images from the Lovely Shelf stamp set from Gina K Designs. And, yes, I know that sunflowers are more a fall thing, but when your yard's been consistently covered in 3+ feet of snow since December in an area where lots of snow is out of the ordinary, any sign of any flower is spring-like to you--LOL! Since I was only coloring a teeny, tiny part of the image, this card came together really quickly. I used Copic markers in warm shades of yellow and orange for the flower with a pop of bright green for the stem. The spotlighted segment of the image is backed with a yellow circle.

I used a strip of striped paper from the My Mind's Eye Bloom and Grow collection along the left side of the cardfront. It's accented with an aqua scalloped strip that's machine stitched on. I layered the image on a matching aqua mat to bring in a little more of the fresh color. The sentiment fit nicely just under the image panel. Lucky for me the image panel wasn't any larger . . .

Materials Used:
Lovely Shelf stamp set, Ocean Mist, Sweet Corn, and white cardstock (Gina K Designs); Butterscotch ink (Vivid); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); designer paper (My Mind's Eye-Bloom & Grow line); oval dies (Nestabilities); circle punches (EK Success); Cool Caribbean Classic ink, Certainly Celery grosgrain ribbon, scallop border punch (Stampin' Up!); foam tape; sewing machine

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Lori, love how you've circled the coloured flower. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori -- I recently discovered your blog and really enjoy seeing your creations. You have a great style and give me lots of inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips