Thursday, April 8, 2010

I Hope It's a Great Day for Hockey

This afternoon marks the start of college hockey's Frozen Four. I'm pretty excited that my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is one of the four teams still in the running for the national title. Because of that, it was only appropriate that I share a hockey-themed card today.

I used images from the Hockey set from Clear & Simple Stamps to create this card based on this week's SCS sketch challenge. The rink image was colored with three different markers to get the different colors, then stamped on white cardstock.

Since the lines on the ice are red and blue, I used those colors for the rest of the card. I used some Scenic Route patterned paper for the three panels. The panels are arranged on a red mat, then attached to a blue card base.

The sentiment is stamped on a strip of red grosgrain ribbon using CSS's black ink. It stamps beautifully on ribbon! It's pretty close to what the famous Wisconsin coach, "Badger Bob" Johnson, used to say, so I made sure I included it on the card. I added a black button, kinda like a hockey puck, as an accent at one end of the ribbon, then secured the ribbon to the card, extending it slightly beyond the right edge.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might remember that Cosmo the crazy dog often wore seasonal bandannas. I always made sure that before Wisconsin played a big game, no matter what the sport, that Cosmo was wearing one of his Badger bandannas. So, it was only appropriate that Chloe the cutie puppy carried on this long-standing tradition. Here's a photo of her in one of Cosmo's bandannas. It's a little (well, maybe a lot) big for her and she was a good sport while I took the photo. She's not a fan of her collar, so the bandanna was not a hit and didn't stay on too long! Chloe was turning somersaults in the grass trying to get it off, so as soon as I snapped this photo, the bandanna was put away. Maybe she'll grow in to liking them as much as Cosmo did . . .

Materials Used:
Hockey stamp set, Perfect Little Black Dress ink, A Blanc Check cardstock, button (Clear & Simple Stamps); black marker (Memento); Real Red and Brilliant Blue markers, Riding Hood Red cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Enchanted Evening cardstock, twine (Papertrey Ink); designer paper (Scenic Route); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels)

1 comment:

  1. Great card, love the pairing of that patterned paper with the images. I'm headed to WI on Monday (Milwaukee). Haven't been there in YEARS!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips