Friday, August 6, 2010

Blogger Challenge: Week 163/Friends with Flair

This week’s blogger challenge is a sketch challenge. I really stretched my interpretation of the sketch much more than I usually do with a sketch challenge to fit the images I used, but I like what I came up with.

Instead of a solid strip across the cardfront, I used the branch image from Unity's What a Hoot kit. The branch is stamped in brown ink on kraft cardstock, then cut out. I cut out a circle to act as the moon in the night sky. It's embossed with a polka dot pattern for interest and texture. One of the kit's owl images is perched on the branch in front of the moon. I stamped the image in brown ink and colored it with Copic markers. I added some self-adhesive pearls for the owl's eyes and three more on the cardfront as stars. The kit's "owl be darned" sentiment is stamped in coordinating blue ink directly on the card base.

For more projects using this sketch that probably look more like the actual sketch than mine does, you can check out what the rest of the challenge players have created. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right. And, for more Unity inspiration, check out the list of Friends with Flair players on the Unity blog.

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Unity Stamp Co. What a Hoot kit, Memento Rich Cocoa ink, Couture Cardstock white medium weight blending cardstock, Copic markers (Y17, YR16, E17), Nestabilities circle die, QuicKutz Polka Dots embossing folder, Zva Creative self-adhesive pearls

other: Marina Mist Classic ink, Marina Mist, Barely Banana, and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin' Up!); foam tape

33 comments:

  1. That sentiment is perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative use of the sketch! Love the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stamps and the tree as part of the sketch. Cute stamps. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh my - this is absolutely adorable!!! Love the colors and that CUTE owl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on the sketch, love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is soo cute and I love the creative approach to the challenge. You got all the design elements - the circular focal point, the horizontal interest and the three accents in the upper left. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great coloring on the owl! Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great take on the sketch! I have trouble thinking outside of the box like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Wow this is creative and so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Lori! Love that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, how cute is this? I am a HUGE owl fan-I may need to buy this set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific card, Lori. Love your owl...beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the cute owl card I seen I love it and colors are justperfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA! This is awesome, Lori...what a fun image and creative sentiment. Rockin' creation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love that moon behind the owl--never thought of that:) CLEVER!! Great stamp set--love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh...very cute - love how you switched up the sketch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did fantastic with the sketch, love the branch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable Lori! Love how you interpreted the sketch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! You did stretch the sketch but I can still totally see it! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the branch instead of a straight piece of paper. Thinking outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your take on this sketch! Cute! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  22. This owl is darling and I love how you interpreted this sketch. Way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love how you did this sketch! Cute images too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've got a big smile on my face and am chuckling over how cute your card is--Love the "owled by darn!"
    Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your sketch interpretation. That owl (and saying) is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this!! So clean and unique. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips