Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Great Friend(s)

Here are my cards for this month’s first two Viva la Verve sketch/inspiration challenges. I used Verve’s new Great Friend set for both cards.

Here’s my card for the first week’s challenge. I was inspired by the colors and round, flower-like shapes on the wall in one of the inspiration photos. I used the smaller solid flower image from Verve’s new Great Friend set for the flowers on my image panel. They’re stamped on cream cardstock and cut out, then set on a cream panel using foam tape. A teal crystal is at the center of each flower for some sparkle. I used a stem image from the Believe set to complete the flowers. The “for you” sentiment from Great Friend is stamped at the bottom of the panel in teal ink.

I repeated the circle element on the card’s other panels. One uses a circle patterned paper and one has embossed dots. I ended up changing the sketch a little, leaving off the two small circle elements on either side of the image panel. Everything I tried looked wrong!

Materials Used:
Great Friend and Believe stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Taken with Teal and Crumb Cake Classic inks, Taken with Teal, Cool Caribbean, Crumb Cake, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Loves Me designer paper (Stampin’ Up!); Polka Dots embossing folder (Cuttlebug); teal rhinestones (Darice); foam tape


Here’s my card for week two. I was inspired by the patterns and colors on these zinnia plates from Anthropologie. I incorporated some of the colors and a bold flower into my design.

The card has a bunch of layers, but is still very clean and simple. I stamped one of the solid flower images in red ink at the upper left corner of a white panel. The flower was stamped a second time on a scrap of white cardstock so I could cut out one of the flower’s layers and attach it to the other image using foam tape. I dotted silver Liquid Pearls on the flower for shine and dimension.

The rest of the card is very simple. After matting the image panel on a black mat, I layered it on to the cardfront over a pair of red and gray strips. I stamped the set’s “just because” sentiment in black ink on a gray scrap and set that on the card, over the bottom of the image panel. A knotted scrap of red ribbon at the end of the sentiment panel completes the card.

Materials Used:
Great Friend stamp set (Verve Stamps); Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Riding Hood Red, Basic Gray, Basic Black, and Whisper White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); Silver Pearl Liquid Pearls (Ranger); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); foam tape

7 comments:

  1. Oh... so wonderful cards! Love the colors and like a lot that they are very different cards with the same stamp! Really beautiful and stylish!

    Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! That's a lovely flower you used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the name of your blog...and these cards are lovely...great designs and colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your red and grey card on Splitcoast and had to check out your blog. These are both great cards! I actually really like the blue card design, especially the embossed dots. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are grogeous!! It is just about killing me not to have my order yet!! Three weeks and I'm still waiting - darn border and Canada Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just beautiful! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips