Saturday, September 25, 2010

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop


The theme for this month’s Papertrey Ink blog hop is tips. I scan a lot of blogs through my reader every day, making notes in a little notebook of color combinations that catch my eye, layouts I like, and other things I’d like to try in my own crafting. Unfortunately, I’m not always too good at noting where all of that inspiration comes from . . .

So, with that in mind, I can’t share the originator of this little tip, but it’s one I’ve used for a while now to make it easier to make those fun little flag-ended accents for cards. I love to use them for sentiment panels, as I did on the card I’ll share later on in my post.

Here’s the tip: Use your square punch to make a notch in the end of a strip of cardstock. Inserting the strip into the punch at the corner on an angle and pressing down will take out a triangle-shaped piece. Much easier—and more even—than if you did it with scissors.

Here’s my example on a card. I made this sympathy card for my co-workers to sign and give to a colleague who recently suffered a loss in her family. I used soft pastel colors and images from Turning a New Leaf and Beautiful Blooms II to create the floral panel. The center of each flower is dotted with some matching Liquid Pearls for a little shine and dimension. One of the sentiments from Through the Trees is stamped on my sentiment flag and accented with a button that’s tied with a scrap of pink grosgrain ribbon.

Materials Used:
Turning a New Leaf, Beautiful Bloooms II, and Through the Trees stamp sets, Sweet Blush and Ripe Avocado inks, Sweet Blush, Ripe Avocado, and Spring Moss cardstock, button (Papertrey Ink); pink grosgrain ribbon (Stampin’ Up!); square punch (EK Success); Pink Petal Liquid Pearls (Ranger)

13 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card and a great tip. I always have problems with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you shared this tip -- am always breaking out the ruler, blade, etc. and trimming here and there to get it just right -- why didn't I think of this?
    So glad you shared - and on such a cute card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I would have NEVER thought of that. And I hadn't seen that tip, so thanks for passing it along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite tricks...I think Charmaine is the one who showed it! :) Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just SOOO clever & I'd never seen it and would never think of it! I just struggle to cut them straight?!!! LOL! LOVE your card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so beautiful and this tip will be perfect for me because when I try this free hand well ........ it's not good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! and I love this tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty darn sweet!
    all your cards here are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! If you follow blogs through the reader, like you mentioned, you can star them and reader keeps them altogether for you so you can go back to the things you really like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card and great technique!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a totally great technique, bit of a 'duh!' moment for me but my does it work so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card. Love the colors. Thanks for the tip with the square punch.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips