Friday, October 22, 2010

Blogger Challenge: Week 174/Friends with Flair

This week’s blogger challenge is to reuse or recycle something. I made a pretty holiday card using an old soda can and a sentiment from Unity Stamp Co. The can’s been sitting on my kitchen counter for a few weeks now with this challenge in mind. The dog walker has probably walked by it every day and wondered why I had an empty can still sitting on my counter and when I was going to toss it. Now I can say that there is a method to my madness—or messiness—LOL!

My Unity October Kit of the Month arrived in my mailbox the other day and I knew right away what I was going to do with my waiting soda can (it was Diet Coke with Lime, in case you’re interested . . .). I cut the can apart, flattened it, then ran it through my die cutting machine to make some sparkly snowflake accents. After testing it on a leftover scrap first, I tinted the snowflakes a soft blue with my Copic airbrushing system and a B16 marker—so pretty! I added a crystal at the center of each flake for even more sparkle.

The flakes are arranged on a shimmery white card base, using glue dots to keep them in place. I stamped the sentiment on the cardfront in Marina Mist ink and wrapped a pale blue satin ribbon around the top to complete the card. Quick, easy, and environmentally friendly, too!

For more projects using reused or recycled items, you can check out what the rest of the challenge players have created. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right. And, for more Unity inspiration, visit the list of Friends with Flair players on the Unity blog.

Materials Used:
October Kit of the Month (Unity Stamp Co.); Marina Mist Classic ink, Shimmery White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); snowflake die (My Favorite Things); light blue satin ribbon (Michaels); self-adhesive rhinestones (Studio 18); marker (Copic-B16); aluminum can

34 comments:

  1. I love those snowflakes! What a fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snowflakes look absolutely amazing! Great job with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with the soda can... The snowflakes turned out great! The card is really cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with the Soda Can- I love the CAS look of your card- love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful holiday card - wonderful way to recycle the aluminum can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I love the simplicity of this card, yet it has such a fabulous 'wow' factor with the tin snowflakes! I've yet to cut apart a soda can...may have to do it this weekend! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori,

    This card is really pretty! Love the snowflakes from the can and that sentiment is perfect with it! Really nice card!!
    Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it!! gotta get my winter stamps inky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Love using soda cans in art. The snowflakes look fantastic airbrushed with copics. Something else for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it!!! i now have a reason to go buy a can of coke!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally awesome! Nice job! Kuddos with actually cutting the can safely, I'd probably cut my hand or something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty and the snowflakes from the Soda can (awesome idea).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew you could make such a beautiful image from an old soda can. This is really nice. If you hadn't said anything, I would have thought this was a special material you used for die cutting. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly incredible -- I am going to have to do this if I can get someone to drink a soda for me. I personally love the simple elegance of this card but the fact that the snowflakes are recycled is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Great use of a can! Wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. FANTASTIC card Lori! What a wonderful idea for the snowflakes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great way to reuse a can! Those snowflakes are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am afraid that I may not ever throw out another soda can!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the card....I bet in person those metal snowflakes are even more awesome! Thx for commenting on my blog, too.
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty holiday card! Love the sentiment and you did an awesome job with those snowflakes. GREAT recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just gorgeous, Lori! Love those snowflakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful card!! Love the simple white background...really makes the blue pop!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful card!! Love the simple white background...really makes the blue pop!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card!!! Hwo do you ties your ribbon to make it look like that? Mine look more "knotty"?

    ReplyDelete
  25. i didn't know you could die cut a coke can--live and learn! your card is just precious-love those snowflakes and your air brushing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never cut into a soda can--but heard's it is possible. Great job--love those snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the snowflakes made with the tin can!! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great reuse! Love those beautiful snowflakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. simply marvelous...love...love the elegance...how perfect that the can had such nice shades of blues...Total harmony on this card.
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips