Monday, October 18, 2010

Spooktacular Sketches

Clear and Simple Stamps is sponsoring this week’s 2 Sketches 4 You challenge. Be sure to stop by 2S4Y to check out the sketch (and the bonus sketch from CSS designer Regina Mangum).

Here’s my card based on this week’s sketch. I am having so much fun with this month’s Stamp of the Month, Beware! Here, I used the set’s spider web image as a backdrop for a big spider button. The web is stamped in silver ink on shimmery white cardstock for a subtle sparkle. I stamped the set’s “spooktacular” sentiment at the bottom of the panel in black ink, then attached the spider button with a glue dot. The panel is accented with a big olive grosgrain bow.

I used some striped patterned paper to cover most of the cardfront. A black border punched spider web strip is at the right side of the cardfront, tucked underneath the patterned paper. A strip of black cardstock and grosgrain ribbon runs down the cardfront. I used my sewing machine to stitch it in place and add a little contrast. The image panel is layered over the strip, set in place with foam tape.

Materials Used:
Beware stamp set, Perfect Little Black Dress ink, Green with Envy cardstock (Clear and Simple Stamps); Basic Black and Shimmery White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); silver ink (Encore); Recollections Ravenwood Manor designer paper (Michaels); olive grosgrain ribbon (Morex); Spider Web border punch (Martha Stewart); spider button (Blumenthal Lansing); sewing machine; foam tape

This card is based on Regina's bonus sketch. I used the spider web image again here, but this time it serves as a backdrop for some bat buttons. I stamped the web on small squares of shimmery white cardstock, then layered them on black mats before setting them on a strip of CSS’s Creamsicle Cardigan cardstock. Before I attached the bats to the webs, I knotted some twine through the buttonholes for a little contrast.

I used a combination of contrasting colors and patterns for the panels underneath the strip of bats. I made my own patterned paper using the Dots and Lines set and white ink on a piece of purple cardstock. I found some fun patterned paper covered with bats for the large panel. Some green and white baker’s twine is wrapped around the patterned paper to fill the open space a little. The twine is secured with an orange button to bring in a bit more orange. Everything’s arranged on a black card base—the bold mix of Halloween colors really pops nicely against the black background.

Materials Used:
Beware and Dots and Lines stamp sets, Perfect Little Black Dress and A Blanc Check inks, Creamsicle Cardigan cardstock (Clear and Simple Stamps); Elegant Eggplant, Basic Black, and Shimmery White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Recollections Halloween designer paper (Michaels); Orange Zest button, twine (Papertrey Ink); green and white baker’s twine (Divine Twine); sewing machine; foam tape

4 comments:

  1. oh my - how cute is this Lori and I love your interpretation of the Regina's bonus sketch too - NICE!
    Thanks for joining us at 2S4Y this week
    :) Kazan

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! Both of your cards are adorable! I love the spider web border! and those bat buttons are spooky! So fun of you to play along at 2S4Y ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, these are both great cards, love the spider button on the big web and the border-oh my-it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, these are so FAB! I love what you did with my sketch. So glad you played! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips