Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Holiday Coaster and Charms Set

Stampendous will be sponsoring us at Paper Craft Planet for the entire month of November with a series of fun stamping ideas! Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the entire month, stay tuned for tips and tricks that will help you get a handle on the holidays!

Today it’s my turn to share a holiday gift idea. I used the beautiful Ornament Greetings clear stamp set to create a set of 4 stamped coasters and a set of matching wine glass charms that would be a fabulous holiday time hostess gift.


Stamping on coasters is a quick way to create a “wow” project. For the coasters, I used a set of blank coasters I picked up at a craft store, but you could just as easily substitute tumbled marble tiles purchased at a home improvement store. The project is pretty self-explanatory, but here are a few tips and hints. The ornament images are stamped on the coasters using festive colors of hybrid inks (I used inks from Palette). If using tumbled tiles, you might want to spray the finished tiles with a matte acrylic sealer to protect the design once it’s dry. Be sure to spray from at least 12” away to prevent smearing. You might also want to add some felt pads to the bottom of your coasters so they don’t scratch the surface they’re placed on. A pretty ribbon is all that’s needed to wrap these up to give.

To go along with my coaster set, I made matching wine glass charms. These are made from shrink plastic, earring wires, and beads. Here’s how to make them:

1. Stamp ornament image on shrink plastic. Again, I used hybrid inks from Palette.
2. Cut out stamped image with scissors.
3. Punch a hole in the ornament with a handheld punch (I used a 1/8” punch)
4. Shrink plastic in oven according to package directions. Be patient and wait for the pieces to flatten out—it will happen, I promise!
5. After the shrunken pieces have cooled, assemble your charms. I used a mix of small glass beads and the stamped ornament. I strung the beads and the ornament on silver earring wires I found in the jewelry findings section of the craft store. They were very inexpensive for a large package, so you'll have more than enough to make lots of gift sets.

We will be bringing you these awesome holiday ideas all month long to help you get ready for the holidays. You can access all this inspiration in our Back to Basics Stampendous Group forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips