Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lots of Love

I have two love-themed stamps using images from My Favorite Things to share this morning. One's definitely girly, while the other has a more masculine look and feel.

Here's card #1, for this month's MFT guest designer recipe challenge to use 1 patterned paper, 2 colors of cardstock, and 3 different kinds of embellishments. I used the sweet Heartfelt set for my card. I colored the girl with Copic markers, using shades of pinks and reds for her outfit and accessories.

My original plan was to add some texture to the image by using felt for the heart she's holding in her hands. I tried it and wasn't happy with it--the felt looked too thick when put in place on the image. So, I went for plan B, paper piecing with solid cardstock. To add some interest, I used faux stitching around the heart's edges.

The rest of the card is simple since I was somewhat limited by the challenge ingredients. I covered most of the pink card base with a heart patterned piece of paper. It's hard to see in the photo, but I machine-stitched around the paper's edges to break up some of the pink. I layered the image panel on to a red mat, then attached it to the card. A strip of red grosgrain ribbon (embellishment #1)runs underneath the image panel. It's notched on one end and dressed up with a pair of layered buttons (embellishment #2) tied together with some pink baker's twine (embellishment #3). I finished the card by stamping the set's friendship sentiment alongside the image panel.

Materials Used:
Claire Keay-Heartfelt stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Real Red and Pink Pirouette cardstock (Stampin' Up!); designer paper (K & Company); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); buttons (Papertrey Ink); pink baker's twine (Divine Twine); white pen (Ranger); sewing machine)

Card #2 is for this week's Wednesday Stamp Club sketch challenge. I used a cute owl from an old MFT set along with the Sheltering Tree die to make a sweet, masculine card.
I die cut the tree from brown cardstock and added some green die cut leaves on its branches. The owl was stamped on mustard cardstock and paper pieced with kraft scraps to add interest to the image. I used foam tape to attach it to one of the tree's branches. I fit the set's "love owl-ways" sentiment on the cream panel next to the tree trunk, underneath one of the lower branches. The panel is layered on MFT's doily die--so pretty!

I used a piece of Basic Grey's Pyrus paper to cover most of the green cardfront. The panel is machine stitched in place. A piece of thick, dark brown twill runs down the length of the cardfront. Instead of a bow, I added a knotted piece of twill at the top of the card, just over the image panel, to finish the card.

Materials Used:
An Owl for All Seasons stamp set, Dainty Lace Doily and Sheltering Tree and Leaf Trio Die-namics dies (My Favorite Things); Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); More Mustard, Close to Cocoa, and Very Vanilla cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Ripe Avocado cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Pyrus designer paper (Basic Grey); circle die (Spellbinders); dark brown twill (Charles Clay & Sons); sewing machine; foam tape

3 comments:

  1. Lori,
    These are both very adorable. I love the faux and real stitching on the first one. That image is really cute and looks like it would be fun to color up with the copics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little girl image is so cute. I like all the stitching details. The owl in the tree is too adorable. What a great die cut frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both so CUTE! I love the doily die on the owl card, I bought that but haven't used it yet, don't know what I'm waiting for ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips