Saturday, January 29, 2011

Balloon Birthday Wishes

Here's my card for this week's One Layer Wednesday challenge. While my true stamping "style" is clean and simple, one layer cards are hard for me to create, so these challenges have been great for stretching my design skills.

This week's challenge was a sketch with the three elements forming a clear visual triangle. I used images from Papertrey Ink's Up, Up & Away set for my very quick card. I started with a light blue base and stamped the set's large solid cloud in white pigment ink in the upper left of the cardfront. I really wanted to use a die cut piece of felt for the cloud, but I resisted--and I'm proud of myself for that! Next, I stamped the balloon, using red ink for a nice pop of color against the blue. The balloon's basket is stamped in brown ink.

I stamped the "birthday wishes" sentiment in blue ink close to the bottom of the card. The final element was some paper piercing just underneath the sentiment. The pierced holes mimic the balloon's pattern and help to ground the sentiment.

I'm off now so that Chloe the cutie puppy and I can get ready for a visit from my parents. They haven't seen their "grand-dog-ter" in a while and I know she'll be super-excited to see them and to show off how much fun she's having playing in the snow.

Materials Used:
Up, Up, & Away stamp set, Pure Poppy, Enchanted Evening, and Fresh Snow inks, Spring Rain cardstock (Papertrey Ink)

4 comments:

  1. Love this card! One of my most favourite colour combos!

    Great job on the challenge and thanks for playing along with OLW38!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a happy card! Wouldn't it be great fun to ride in a polka dot air balloon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the hot air balloons were a real hit with this challenge! I used the same set....first time I've inked it up and I just love it!! Your card turned out so pretty!! You're right about the piercing...it really helps ground the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just amazing!! Love the card - and the balloon is super!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips