Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rose Bowl Time

***Scroll down to the post below to see this month's Stamp of the Month from Clear and Simple Stamps.***

It's almost time for kick off at the Rose Bowl! I'm so excited to watch Wisconsin play in the big game. I've been there in person once and there's nothing like it. As a big sports fan, I've been lucky to go to many different events, including a number of championship ones at both the professional and college level. I've gone to a Super Bowl, seen a team win the NHL's Stanley Cup, and been to numerous NCAA basketball, hockey, and lacrosse tournament and championship games and nothing measures up to the Rose Bowl.

I tried to capture some of that excitement on my card for this month's My Favorite Things guest designer challenge. I made a sort of Z-fold card for a little scene featuring a Badger football player made from the Pure Innocence Boy & Dog - Football set. The football player is colored with Copic markers and cut out. I added a chipboard "w" sticker to his uniform to customize it. For the pennant in his hand, I used one of the MFT pennant dies and stamped "go team" on it in red.

I set the football player on a beautiful grassy field, embossed with a dotted pattern for interest and texture. A piece of red ribbon runs along the bottom of the card. This will help to keep the card flat for mailing if you tuck the back of the card under the ribbon. The background is a blue sky with a pair of clouds. I machine stitched around the edges of the panel and the edges of the cloud. The Rose Bowl banner is made with MFT's mini banner die and coordinating alphabet. I used two sets of banner pieces--a white for the top layer and a red underneath for a little shadow. I strung the pieces on a piece of red and white baker's twine and attached it across the card's back panel. Not quite like being at the game, but it'll have to do.

As promised, here's a photo of Chloe the cutie puppy in her Wisconsin Badger gear. She's two weeks from her first birthday and a little over 50 pounds now. The bandanna she's sporting is a hand-me-down from Cosmo the crazy dog. I'm hoping my parents, who are in Pasadena at the big game, will find her a somewhat more feminine (mostly red) bandanna to wear in the future. I'll spare you a photo of me in my ratty looking lucky sweatshirt that I'll be wearing for the game. I bought it when I was a freshman in college and charged it to my dad, who was furious when he saw the bill for a very expensive sweatshirt and stated that I'd better wear it until I die. 20+ years (and 4 Rose Bowls) later, I'm still wearing it, so I hope I've been forgiven. Go Badgers!

Materials Used:
Pure Innocence Boy and Dog-Football stamp set, Die-Namics banner and cloud die, Die-Namics Banner Strip die and mini alphabet stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Couture Cardstock); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, and Kiwi Kiss cardstock (Stampin' Up!); grass border punch (Martha Stewart); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); self-adhesive chipboard letter (Basic Grey); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); white felt; sewing machine; foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips