Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebration Collage

Here's my card for today's SCS clean and simple challenge to use a trio of colors--peach, poppy, and daffodil. I combined the challenge with Papertrey Ink's new Make it Monday challenge to combine sentiments from different sets in a fun arrangements. I thought this would be quick, but it ended up taking me more tries than I want to share to come up with this final version.

I used birthday sentiments from 6 different PTI sets for my sentiment collage. The sentiments I chose have a variety of messages, fonts, and sizes. I played around with the arrangement first, laying the words out on my card base to find the right "fit" before trying them out with ink. The sentiments are stamped them in three ink colors, using the red just once for the large "happy birthday" sentiment so it would stand out from the rest.

I fashioned my own candles using cardstock scraps embossed with a dotted pattern for some texture. I added yellow flames, sparkled up with a little Stickles, and placed a yellow button tied with some twine along the side of the candle to get a grouping of three items.

Now I'm off to clean up the mess I made sifting through all of my stamp sets to put together this card . . .

Materials Used:
Big Birthday Wishes, Birthday Bash Sentiments, Star Prints, Make a Wish, Fillable Frames #1, adn Fillable Frames #5 stamp sets, Pure Poppy ink, Pure Poppy and Lemon Tart cardstock, Lemon Tart button, Pure Poppy baker's twine (Papertrey Ink); Sweet Mango cardstock (Gina K Designs); Vivid Butterscotch ink (Clearsnap); Yoyo Yellow ink (Stampin' Up!); Yellow Stickles (Ranger); Polka Dots embossing folder (Sizzix); circle punch (EK Success)

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is awesome! Well worth the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Lori! I love the colors you chose. Hooray for messes if it means coming up with a card like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute, bright and cheery! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great - you have chosen a fabulous collection of sentiments and I especially like the candles !

    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog !

    Margaret C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of the technique...know what you mean about sorting through to find the sentiments!
    Thanks for visiting me and your lovely comment :)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors you chose,so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure what your other attempts looked like, but the final version was wonderful!! I love those hand-cut birthday candles on this one. Great job with the embossing of them, that was a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, This turned out Super Cute! LOVE the candles and the button with twine, too! I thought this would be quick, too, but it took me a while to get it just how I wanted it. But after that I cranked out 9 more! LOL! LOVE the different colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lori, thanks for your sweet comment! i LOVE your card as well...great color combo, and those candles turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips