Saturday, March 19, 2011

Love You to My Core

When I saw the colors from this week’s Color Throwdown challenge, at first I thought I might skip it, but then I reconsidered and pushed myself to give it a try. I wouldn’t have thought to pair Wild Wasabi, Perfect Plum/Elegant Eggplant, More Mustard, and Early Espresso on my own, but by taking a clean and simple approach, I came up with a project I’m pretty happy with in the end.

I used the apple image from the Paper Smooches Falling for You set and made it green to match the challenge’s Wild Wasabi, instead of the red I’d usually use for an apple. Once the image was colored—using shades pretty close to three of the four challenge colors--I cut it out.

The rest of my card uses the design principal of using a lot of one color, less of a second, and even less of the remaining one or two. Not sure what that’s called, but I remember reading it somewhere sometime. I found the very last sheet of Wild Wasabi cardstock in my stash and used it for my card base. The apple is set on a panel of striped paper from Echo Park’s Little Girl collection kit. A strip of More Mustard cardstock runs along the panel’s right edge. I used my sewing machine to stitch around the panel to add a little interest and contrast. The “love you to my core” sentiment is stamped on a mustard banner die cut using brown ink. The apple is set over the end of the banner strip. A small button, tied with a little brown and white baker’s twine, is my only embellishment on the clean and simple card.

Materials Used:
Falling for You stamp set (Paper Smooches); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Rich Cocoa ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Wild Wasabi and More Mustard cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Little Girl Collection Kit (Echo Park); double-ended banner die, Harvest Gold button (Papertrey Ink); baker’s twine (Martha Stewart); sewing machine

3 comments:

  1. Lori, leave it to you to use these colors brilliantly!!! Wow! Why didn't I think of that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suh-weet! I love how you used the colors, Lori!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lori, your coloring is spectacular on that apple! Love that you made it green :] Your CAS design is perfect!!

    Thanks so much for playing along with the Color Throwdown this week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips