Monday, April 18, 2011

Smile and Wish

Before my little beach getaway, I was able to get caught up on the first two Viva la Verve sketches for the month of April.

Here's my card for April's first sketch. I went for a masculine look and even though the card has lots of layers, I think it still has a clean and simple look.

I picked the card's colors from the striped piece of retired SU! Fall Flowers designer paper I used on the card. All of the other panels on the cardfront are made of colors included in the paper. To add interest, I used different textures, including embossing the rust circle panel with a dotted pattern and running a wide strip of dark brown twill across the cardfront before adding the sentiment panel.

The sentiment comes from the Big Wish set. I stamped it in rust ink on a cream panel, then added a cork star as an accent. I love using cork pieces on masculine cards! The final element is a scattering of metal studs, another great embellishment for masculine cards. I've been using so many of these that I went back to the dollar bins at Michaels to snag some more!

Materials Used:
Big Wish stamp set (Verve Stamps); Dusty Durango Classic ink, Dusty Durango, Dark Chocolate, Sahara Sand, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Fall Flowers designer series paper (Stampin' Up!); circle die (Spellbinders); Melon Berry cardstock, star die (Papertrey Ink); cork sheet (Creative Impressions); Polka Dots embossing folder (Sizzix); metal studs (Michaels); brown twill


Here's my card for the second week's sketch. I went bright and sunny on this one using one of my favorite Verve images, the butterfly from Blue Skies.

For the focal image, I used Verve's Vintage Oval die and matching frame image. The "you make me smile" sentiment from Blue Skies is stamped inside the orange frame image in brown ink. I stamped the set's small butterfly on a scrap of white cardstock, colored it with Copic markers, cut it out, and added it to the frame's edge with foam tape.

I used a piece of older My Mind's Eye designer paper to cover most of the cardfront. A trio of copper brads is set in two of the panel's corners. I think I would have been happier with them if I'd set them a little farther from the edge . . . For the panels on either side of the card, I embossed corner rounded pieces of orange cardstock with a dotted pattern. A strip of yellow cardstock, layered with an orange strip and a piece of coordinating yellow satin ribbon, runs down the center of the card. The sentiment panel is attached to the center of the card and a pretty satin bow is set underneath it as a final feminine touch.

Materials Used:
Blue Skies and Vintage Oval Frame stamp sets, Vintage Oval die (Verve Stamps); Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Pumpkin Pie Classic ink, Pumpkin Pie and Whisper White cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Harvest Gold cardstock, Harvest Gold satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Bloom and Grow designer paper (My Mind's Eye); Polka Dots embossing folder (Sizzix); copper brads (Making Memories); Bow Easy; foam tape; corner rounder

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips