Friday, May 20, 2011

Blogger Challenge: Week 204

This week’s blogger challenge is an inspiration challenge based on a series of three photos from Pottery Barn. All of the photos share a rustic, nautical, beachy look. That’s not a style that I have lots of stamps or embellishments for in my collection, so I'll admit that I hemmed and hawed over this one for quite a while before coming up with my card for the challenge. I ended up creating a nautical themed Father’s Day card using images from the Dad & Me stamp set from Clear & Simple Stamps. I paired the set’s sailboat image with this week’s Mojo Monday sketch. It's definitely a loose interpretation of the inspiration board, but I tried!

The boat image was stamped on white cardstock, colored with Copic markers and cut out. I made a background panel for it using several layers of torn blue paper strips for the water and a light blue panel for the sky. The boat is set on the scene using foam tape. I went back and forth about adding the felt cloud to the sky and in the end, decided to go with it.

I used a blue star patterned paper to cover most of the kraft card base. I machine stitched around the edges for a finished look. The image panel was layered on a red mat before setting it on the cardfront. For the sentiment, I combined the word “dad” from the Dad & Me set with the “relax+enjoy” sentiment from A Guy Thing. A piece of CSS’s new cream twill runs underneath the sentiment—a perfect accent for a nautical themed card! Instead of placing a trio of small embellishments along the upper right edge of the card, I added a copper metal stud embellishment on the twill on either side of the sentiment panel.

For more ideas based on the inspiration piece, check out the links below. And, if you join in the challenge, feel free to add your link to the list.


Materials Used:
Dad & Me and A Guy Thing stamp sets, Perfect Little Black Dress ink, True Blue Fan, My Favorite Blue Jeans, Trendsetter Blue, Haute Red Couture, On the Catwalk Cream, A Blanc Check, and Kraft Like a Rockstar cardstock, Copic markers (E25, E31, E34, B0000, B000), On the Catwalk Cream twill, Simple Adhesive (Clear and Simple Stamps); Report Card 8 x 8 paper pad (October Afternoon); circle punches (EK Success); flat-bottom cloud die (My Favorite Things); copper metal stud embellishments (Michaels); white felt; sewing machine; foam tape

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful take on the inspiration photo. Love the added felt cloud and the torn paper for your waves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, I love what you created with this set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool card. I love the sailboat and the background paper works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great card! I wanna touch the cloud!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! Love your used of the felt cloud and the torn waves are so fun. You did a wonderful job with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative of course!!! Wonderful card fo Dad...love your felt clouds and waves are also special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card. Beautifully created, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute card Lori- fun project for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that felt cloud. Great father's day card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrific masculine card Lori! A great clean and simple design! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful job on this--it looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips