Monday, May 30, 2011

Hats Off

Here's my card for this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge to create a clean and simple graduation card. I used the School's Out set from Our Craft Lounge for this card that will work for just about any graduate--high school or college, male or female. It's a great one to have in my stash!

I started by using cardstock pieces to fashion my own mortarboard cap. For a realistic touch, I used embroidery floss to create a fun tassel to hang from the cap. To set the cap off from the rest of the card, I set it on a gold circle using foam tape.

I used two solid panels on my card base, a gold one on the bottom, layered over with a black panel. The cap is set at the top of the black panel. I heat embossed the set's "hats off to you" sentiment in gold along the bottom of the panel. A trio of black brads along the bottom of the gold panel completes the simple design. It would be easy to personalize this card for a graduate by switching up the black/gold color combination to the school colors. I'll have to keep that in mind . . .

Materials Used:
School's Out stamp set (Our Craft Lounge); Versamark ink (Tsukineko); white cardstock (Xerox); Basic Black cardstock (Stampin' Up!); gold shimmer paper (Target); gold embossing powder (Ranger); circle punches (EK Success); black brads (Joann); embroidery floss; foam tape

5 comments:

  1. Really cool! Love your custom mortarboard and very creative to make your own tassel! Love it :) Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori this is a perfect grad card! I love the hat in the focal point! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding!! This could TOTALLY be used for high school or college. Love the color blocking and the brilliant innovation in your mortar board. Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! Hope you'll join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one cool card!!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, the embossing really stands out perfectly. I love that you made your own cap and tassel too! WOW I'm so glad you joined us for CAS-ual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips