Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Papertrey Ink May Blog Hop: Fun with Flowers

The theme for this month’s Papertrey Ink blog hop is flowers. Blog hop participants were invited to share a project featuring their favorite take on flowers. I decided to create something other than a card and ended up using lots of PTI supplies--but no paper and no stamps! I created a fun embellished keychain that I can't wait to use for my own keys.

I used one of PTI’s Beautiful Blooms II die sets to make a bunch of flowers from Hawaiian Shores and Hibiscus Burst felt. I layered a large flower and a small one, then machine stitched them together, following the outline of the smaller flower. Once the stitching was complete, I used fabric glue to attach a matching large flower to the stack, covering the stitching and keeping it secure. For the flower centers, I cut small felt circles and hand stitched a contrasting button in the center of each one with embroidery floss. Again, I used fabric glue to attach the piece to the flower.

I let the flowers dry overnight, then used my Crop-A-Dile to make a hole in each flower. I set large eyelets through the holes and used small jump rings to attach the flowers to the keychain. Both the jump rings and the key chain piece were purchased from the jewelry findings section of my local craft store. I have a bunch of these findings left over, so I have a feeling I'll be making a few more of these--maybe in different color schemes or using different shapes, like stars or hearts . . .

Materials Used:
Beautiful Blooms II #1 dies, Hawaiian Shores and Hibiscus Burst felt, Hawaiian Shores and Hibiscus Burst buttons (Papertrey Ink); eyelets (Recollections); embroidery floss; 12 mm jump rings; key chain; fabric glue

26 comments:

  1. OMG!!! This is so creative and cute! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, you are always so CREATIVE! LOVE this so much! FAB idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that we both thought of keychains! LOVE these and know you'll enjoy using them -- you can think of crafting & PTI every time you grab your keys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and bright so you can find them! Very pretty keychain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is a super creative idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you made this! It's so simple to do things like this, I just never think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and cute idea!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool idea, love those flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now there is some creativity for ya! What a cute, fun idea. Super job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh..how fun and cute are those! I have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now THAT's a unique idea! Fabulous! You could use them as hair bows and purse and shoe embellishments as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable and unique. Awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lori!

    Now this makes me happy!!! Who wouldn't want such a gorgeous key chain, with these happy-making colors form these gorgeous Pti dies!!! Perfect!! Love it!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super creative, unique idea, Lori! I think you may have just started a craze amongst papercrafters, LOL! GREAT PROJECT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori these are amazing! Super cute andyou are super talented. I love this idea and you are going to have a lot of people scraplift this for sure. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great way to keep track of your keys. I wouldn't mind that hanging from my purse!! Just think different ones to match different outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. fantastic idea! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how FUN is this?! These would make a wonderful gift - for a teacher, a friend, a teenager...possibilities are endless! Love the uniqueness of this project!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea. So cute ,possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun idea! I'm always on the lookout for felt ideas with all the felt I hoard, so will be trying this for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this! Great gift idea too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips