Monday, July 4, 2011

Cake Stand Inspired

I’m excited to be one of the hostesses for today’s SCS clean and simple holiday stamping challenges! That's right, instead of one clean and simple challenge, there will be a whole bunch of them. All day long, a new set of challenges will be posted at the start of each hour. I hope you'll find some time to play along.


Let’s get things started! Here’s my first challenge—an inspiration one based on this fabulous flag themed holiday treat concoction on the Martha Stewart website. Doesn’t that look yummy? For the challenge, I made my own version of a layered holiday cake by combining three Mint Motif sets from i {heart} papers.

I started by building the cake image using the Cake Shoppe and Cake Shoppe Too sets. The images are stamped in black ink and shaded just a bit with Copic markers. Instead of a trio of flags for a topper, I used the number “4” from the I've Got Your Number set. I added the word “happy” from the Cake Shoppe Too set along the side of the 4 in blue ink.

The other element from the photo that really stuck out to me was the red raspberries at the top of each cupcake. I wanted to incorporate that into my project, so I added dots of Rouge Liquid Pearls across each of the cake’s layers.

To finish the design and to make it so that the cake didn’t appear to be floating in space, I layered strips of red and blue cardstock underneath it and wrapped some red baker’s twine around the card for a striped element.

Check back later on today for my next challenge . . .

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Mint Motif Cake Shoppe, Cake Shoppe Too and I’ve Got Your Number stamp sets, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black and Bahama Blue inks, Copic markers (R12, R22, R24, B000, B0000, W00), Ranger Rouge Liquid Pearls, Divine Twine Cherry Red baker’s twine

other: white cardstock (Xerox); Riding Hood Red and Night of Navy cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); medium scallop die (Papertrey Ink)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips