Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fran*tage Friday: Faux Bleaching with Spray Mists

The Paper Craft Planet Super Novas have partnered up with Stampendous for the next three months to bring you Fran*tage Fridays! Mix up a bit of montage and eclectic collage with a touch of vintage timelessness á la Fran Seiford, and what do you get? Fran•táge! Each Friday, we'll be showing you a technique using the new Fran*tage line of stamps from Stampendous. The best part? You can win all the stamps demonstrated, just by leaving a comment!

I’m excited about sharing a technique with you today that showcases Stampendous stamps along with sparkly spray mists and embossing. This technique uses heat embossing to get a faux bleached look that looks great on shabby chic or vintage style projects.

I started off by stamping the Music Score background stamp in watermark ink on a white panel. After stamping the image, I covered it with white embossing powder (somehow managing to spill half the container’s contents on my black shorts and the floor, but that’s another story . . .) and heat embossed the image.

Once the image was embossed, I used spray mists to coat the paper. I set the embossed cardstock in a little plastic container that fits a 4 ¼” x 5 ½” sheet of cardstock. I keep this container handy to help contain some of the stray droplets.


For interest and depth, I used a few different shades of browns and a bit of pink, too. And, while I had the mess out, I did a few sheets so I'd have a little variety to work with. Here's what one finished quarter sheet of cardstock looked like after I was done spritzing away. You can see how it resisted the embossed areas.

After the mists dried (with a little help from my heat tool since I’m impatient!), I heated up my craft iron to a low heat setting. I have two irons at home—one for clothes and one for craft projects—LOL! I set a sheet of plain white copy paper over the embossed image and ironed over the panel. This re-melts the embossing powder and transfers it to the white copy paper, removing the raised embossing. You’ll know this is happening when you can see the shadow from the embossing powder through your copy paper. Please use care when doing this so that the paper doesn’t burn. If you move the paper around to remove the embossing from different areas, shift the copy paper so that the part that’s under the iron is clean to prevent embossing powder from transferring back to your misted paper.

Once you’ve removed the embossing powder, you’re ready to create your project. I turned one of the panels I made into a pretty shabby chic style card with the Music Score image as a background.

I distressed and inked the edges with a little distress ink, then machine stitched the panel to a pink panel. Since I already had the spray mists out, I used them on a pretty paper doily and the panel stamped with the Dream Forever sentiment. I used the spray mists one last time to color a little white seam binding to match the card. I just added a few drops and some water to a plastic bag with a piece of the seam binding and squished the bag in my hands to spread the ink. After it was dry, I formed it into a double-looped bow and added a pair of buttons at the bow’s center before attaching it to the cardfront. A trio of pearls added one final elegant touch to the card.

Want to win these stamps? Comment on this blog post on the PCP blog and let us know what technique you'd like to learn. You have until Thursday at midnight, Eastern Time. After that, we'll pick a winner through Random.org and announce that lucky duck on the next Fran*tage Friday.

Materials Used:
Music Score (CRR103) and Dream Forever (CRV219) cling stamps (Stampendous); white cardstock (Xerox); Memento Rich Cocoa and Versamark inks, Angel Pink Fireworks (Tsukineko); Pink Pirouette and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Labels 4 dies (Spellbinders); Vanilla Breeze and Bronze Glimmer Mists (Tattered Angels); white paper doily (Wilton); buttons (Clear and Simple Stamps); self-adhesive pearls (Queen & Co.); twine (Papertrey Ink); white seam binding; sewing machine

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips