Sunday, October 9, 2011

Falling for Verve

Fall's in full swing, so I figured that I should reflect that in my cards for this month's first two Viva la Verve sketches. I think I have it covered here with these two different style cards.

Here's my card for this month's first sketch. I combined the sketch with this week's Crazy 4 Challenges recipe challenge (leaf image, a rust or burnt orange color, 2 trims, and 3 embellishments). Even with all the recipe elements, the design ended up pretty clean and simple.

I used one of the leafy branch images from Verve's Autumn Splendor set as my leaf image. I stamped it in rust on a cream cardstock scrap, stamping off the solid image first, then adding the detailed line image on top. After cutting the image out, I added it to a cream circle stamped with a sentiment from the Thankful Hearts set.

I used a diagonally striped panel along the left side of the cardfront, edging it with a scalloped strip. After attaching two copper brads to the panel, I set it on a kraft panel inked along the edges with distress ink. I layered a brown square on the patterned paper strip, then ran a strip of orange satin ribbon, topped with a piece of linen twine, across the cardfront before adding the sentiment panel. I attached the leaf image with foam tape, then added the gold button at the other side of the panel.

Materials Used:
Autumn Splendor and Thankful Hearts stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Really Rust Classic ink, Close to Cocoa and Very Vanilla cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Pumpkin Spice cardstock (Gina K Designs); Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); Tea Dye distress ink (Ranger); Autumn Splendor 6x6 paper pad (We R Memory Keepers); Orange Zest satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink); linen thread (The Cat's Pajamas); circle punch (EK Success); foam tape


And, here's my card for this month's second sketch. This one's on the cute and whimsical side, using the fun pumpkin turkey from the Bountiful Harvest set as the focal image.

I colored the image with Copic markers and cut it out. It's set on a circle panel made from half-circles of kraft cardstock and an orange dotted patterned paper. Originally, I'd planned to do faux stitching to "merge" the two papers, but it didn't look good, so I came up with Plan B. Instead, I used linen thread to hand stitch and connect the holes I'd already made with my paper piercer. Once the stitching was complete, I set the image in place and the kraft sentiment strip over that. Too fun!

Materials Used:
Bountiful Harvest stamp set (Verve Stamps); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Crumb Cake and Sahara Sand cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Sweet Mango cardstock (Gina K Designs); Apothecary 6x6 paper pad, Country Drive Collection Kit (Echo Park); circle dies (Spellbinders); linen thread (The Cat's Pajamas)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips