Friday, October 28, 2011

Winter Peace

Here’s my card for this week’s Waltzingmouse sketch challenge. When I first saw the sketch, nothing came to mind. I thought on it for a few days and finally came up with what you see here.

I made a simple winter scene using the largest bare tree/branch from the Teeny Trees set. The backdrop is made by sponging a piece of white cardstock with Broken China distress ink. For a little sparkle, I sprayed the sponged panel with a bit of Summer Sky Fireworks. Before I started sponging and spraying, I masked off a circular shape with a sticky note, then went back and filled in the circle with yellow ink to make a big, full moon.

After letting the ink and spray dry, I attached a piece of shimmery white cardstock, torn along the top for an irregular edge, along the bottom of the panel. I stamped the tree on the panel in brown ink, then added the small bird image in blue. The bird’s eye is filled in with a teeny, tiny crystal for just a little more sparkle. The “peace” sentiment from Say It Loud Winter Holidays is stamped at the bottom of the panel in blue ink. The panel is layered on a turquoise mat, then set on a dark blue card base. After my original uncertainty about how to tackle the sketch, I’m happy with the simple, peaceful look and feel of the design.

Materials Used:
Teeny Trees and Say It Loud Winter Holidays stamp sets (Waltzingmouse Stamps); So Saffron Classic ink, Tempting Turquoise, Not Quite Navy, Whisper White and Shimmery White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Broken China distress ink (Ranger); Enchanted Evening ink (Papertrey Ink); Memento Rich Cocoa ink, Summer Sky Fireworks (Tsukineko); 1 ½” circle punch (EK Success); clear crystal (Taylored Expressions)

3 comments:

  1. A really lovely clean and simple design! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the CAS design of your card! And I love how you used the raw edge of the paper for your background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet and serene, Lori! Love that little bird perched in the tree. You certainly chose the right sentiment for this card!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips