Monday, January 23, 2012

Black and White Birds

A nasty case of the stomach flu came on suddenly and had me down for the count yesterday and I'm still not myself today. I'm hoping another day of rest at will help me to get back to normal. With not feeling well, a clean and simple card was pretty much all I could manage for today.

This card is for this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge to make a card with just black and white in honor of Friday's penguin awareness day. I didn't go with penguins on my card, but did stick with the bird theme, using my new Sentimental Birds set from Sweet Stamp Shop. The silhouette image of birds perched on lines is perfect for a black and white card.

I stamped the large image on a white panel, trimming the panel's edges to fit the image. After layering it on a black panel, I added a piece of white vellum over the stamped image for a more muted look. A piece of black satin ribbon is knotted around the panel at the bottom of the image, hiding the adhesive I used to secure the vellum panel. I added one of the set's sentiments beneath the ribbon on a narrow white strip. To go with the sentiment, I found a clear crystal circle and placed it on the vellum to spotlight the pair of birds with the hearts between them. The crystal element was a fun way to add an embellishment while still keeping with the all black and white color scheme.

Materials Used:
Sentimental Birds stamp set (Sweet Stamp Shop); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); white cardstock (Stampin' Up!); white vellum (The Paper Co.); black satin ribbon (Target); clear crystal circle (Recollections)

3 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty card....I love the rhinestone circle to hightlight the two love birds....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the softness that the vellum added! And your little circle of bling is delightful! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea to highlight those lovebirds! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips