Friday, February 24, 2012

Blogger Challenge: Week 244

This week’s blogger challenge is a color challenge—black, white, and red. Initially, I was thinking about love-themed designs, but in the end, I went an entirely different direction. I guess I’m a little burned out from Valentine’s Day! I used one of the penguin sets from The Cat’s Pajamas along with this week’s Mojo Monday sketch for my encouraging card.

I stamped the kite-flying penguin from the Up, Up & Away set in black ink, then heat embossed it for a shiny look. The image is colored with Copic markers, then cut out using the out of the box technique so that the penguin’s kite extends beyond the top edge of the image panel. The image is layered on a red panel, then set on a large black panel. I wrapped some black baker’s twine around open space at the right side of the panel, then set the “fly high” sentiment over both the image panel and the twine.

I used strips of red dotted patterned paper as a background. To get the size of the panels figured out, I tested the width out on some scrap paper first—figuring out strips in layouts like these is always a challenge for me! The scraps are lined up on a piece of black cardstock that’s set on a white card base. Once I had everything arranged nicely, I added the image panel on top.

For more projects using this classic color scheme, check out the link list below. And, if you’d like to join the challenge, add a direct link to your new project below.

Materials Used:
Up, Up & Away stamp set, Neenah white cardstock, Versafine black ink, Divine Twine black baker’s twine (The Cat’s Pajamas); markers (Copic); Poppy Parade and Basic Black cardstock, clear embossing powder (Stampin’ Up!); Dots & Stripes-Metropolitan Ruby Red Small Dot designer paper (Echo Park)

8 comments:

  1. I agree--enough Valentines already! Great fun card. I love all the red! My favorite color. Love your bakers twine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the kite is off your main panel. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cute, Lori! Love all of the polka dots and the Baker's Twine! Wonderfully done! Have a Happy Weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the strips of polka dots. Such a cute image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Cute! - That little Penguin just makes me smile. Love the use of the twine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, as always, Lori. Love your little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Love the "out-of-the-frame" image, too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips