Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's Fun O'Clock

Here’s my card for the current Paper Smooches Sparks inspiration challenge, along with the little video I promised featuring the wobbly spring mechanism I used on this card. I thought the spring would work well with in combination with the fun, whimsical clock image.

The inspiration photo featured a striped clock face, so I made the clock from the Perpetual Bliss set the focal point of my design. The clock’s colored with Copic markers and cut out. I added a tiny clear crystal at the top of the clock for a bit of sparkle, then set it aside to assemble the rest of the card.

Since I wanted the clock to really be the focus of my card, I kept the layout classic and simple. The card features the soft blues and grays of the inspiration photo. With the look of the wood on the photo's clock face in mind, I picked a patterned paper in shades of weathered blues and grays for the panel at the bottom of my card. I ran a strip of solid gray across the top of the patterned piece to set it apart from the rest of the card. The “it’s fun o’clock” sentiment is stamped in black ink on a teal panel and set on the cardfront.

Now’s where the fun begins. I attached the spring mechanism to the back of the cutout clock—there’s print on the part of the adhesive backing that you peel off that tells you which side of the mechanism goes on your card and which side goes on your image—then to the cardfront. I did trim the adhesive pieces down a bit to fit the small clock image. If you use a larger image, you won't have to do that. I lifted the clock a little to release the spring and off it goes, wobbling away. The spring easily flattens again so the card can be put in an envelope and sent in the mail with no trouble at all. The super short short video clip shows how it looks in action. Too fun!

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Paper Smooches Perpetual Bliss stamp set, X-Press white Copic blending cardstock, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Copic markers (BG10, BG13, C-1, C-3, C-5), Echo Park A Boy’s Life 6x6 paper pad, Spellbinders circle die, KaiserCraft self-adhesive clear crystal, Action Wobble Spring

other: Soft Sky and Taken with Teal cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Soft Stone cardstock (Papertrey Ink)

2 comments:

  1. cuteness! Love the live demo too :) May have to get a few of these for my stash...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips