Friday, May 11, 2012

Mojo Monday and More

Here's my card for this week's Mojo Monday sketch.  I went for a fun, kind of masculine look with a starry theme.

I started off with some star patterned paper. After covering most of the cardfront with the dotted reverse side of the paper, I used it for the panel on the right side of the card.

I layered a kraft circle over the star panel, then added a green notch-edged strip to the kraft circle.  The "you're so cool" sentiment from Verve's Happy Days set is stamped at the bottom of the strip in dark blue ink.  In keeping with the star theme, I die cut a star from gold felt and attached it to the top of the notch-edged strip.  The top seemed a bit empty to me, so I pulled out my sewing machine and zig zag stitched across the top--much better!  A piece of grosgrain ribbon, knotted around the bottom of the card, finished off the design.


Materials Used:
Happy Days stamp set (Verve Stamps); Enchanted Evening ink, Simply Chartreuse cardstock, Enchanted Evening grosgrain ribbon, Harvest Gold felt (Papertrey Ink); Not Quite Navy and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Lime Twist-Out of the Blue "Playful" Galaxy designer paper (My Mind's Eye); circle dies (Spellbinders); Fishtail Stax dies (My Favorite Things); Shapes:  Stars dies (Clear and Simple Stamps); sewing machine


And, while I had my Verve stamps out, I used this month's second Viva la Verve sketch to make this birthday card.  I don't need it until next week, but it's nice to have it off my to do list before the weekend!

I picked a cheerful yellow and blue color scheme for my card and used a pair of patterned papers from an October Afternoon paper pad for the two panels on the cardfront.  The striped panel is wrapped with a matching yellow grosgrain ribbon, tied in a knot.

The sentiment panel that overlaps the patterned paper panels uses a pair of sentiments from Verve's Wishing You stamp set.  The birthday message is stamped in blue ink on a cream panel.  I layered it on a scallop edged panel before attaching it to the card.  A pair of pearl lines runs across the card, just underneath the sentiment panel.  I have to admit that I almost left this element out--it just seemed out of place to me--but in the end, I stayed true to the sketch.

Materials Used:
Wishing You stamp set (Verve Stamps); Baja Breeze Classic ink, Daffodil Delight, Baja Breeze and Very Vanilla cardstock, Daffodil Delight grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!); Thrift Shop 8x8 paper pad (October Afternoon); circle and scalloped circle dies (Spellbinders); self-adhesive pearl lines (Recollections)

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips