Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Playing with Patterned Papers

Over the weekend, I caught up on this month’s first two Viva la Verve sketches.  With both of these, I started off with some patterned paper and worked from there to come up with the finished designs.

Here’s my card for June’s first sketch. I went for an earthy look with the colors and wood veneer element.

I assembled the card on a kraft card base. The coordinating patterned papers are from a (somewhat neglected) Papertrey Ink paper pad. I used a dotted pattern for the long panel at the left side of the card and paired it with a leafy patterned paper for the panel at the center of the design.

 The sentiment is from Verve’s Take Note set. I stamped it in brown ink on a light green strip. The strip is attached to the patterned paper panel and anchored with a leaf shaped wood veneer piece. The shape of the wood piece is similar to the leaf pattern on the paper, so I thought they’d work well together.

Materials Used:
Take Note stamp set (Verve Stamps); Spring Moss, Fine Linen, and Kraft cardstock, Turning a New Leaf patterned paper (Papertrey Ink); circle die (Spellbinders); wood veneer piece (Michaels) 

Here’s my card for June’s second sketch. I had a few already cut and stamped apple images left over from another project, so I thought I’d use one in my design.

I made a teacher card using the Teachers Count and Making a Statement sets. The sentiment panel is stamped with the grid image from Making a Statement to make school-style grid paper. I trimmed the panel and rounded the corners for a nice, finished look, then stamped the “best teacher ever” sentiment on the panel in red ink. I added one of the apples to the side of the panel using foam tape. The panel is set over a dotted paper panel with one half circle on either side. Once the pieces were in place, I ran a strip of red grosgrain ribbon down the length of the card and added a knotted piece at the top of the sentiment panel as an accent.

Materials Used:
Teachers Count and Making a Statement stamp sets, Apples die (Verve Stamps); Whisper White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Spring Moss and Kraft cardstock, Funky Town patterned paper (Papertrey Ink); Sno Cone, Electric Red, and Jellybean Green inks (My Favorite Things); Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Rich Cocoa marker (Tsukineko); circle die (Spellbinders); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); corner rounder; foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips