Friday, September 28, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 14

This week's challenge was to use a spectrum pad in your creation. So, when I had some time last weekend, I created this card for the challenge. I used the Pumpkin Patch spectrum pad and a brayer to create the background for the main image panel on this card.

The sun was created by masking--basically sticking a circle-shaped post it note to the cardstock before brayering the ink over the glossy cardstock. Once I had brayered the paper, I filled in the white space left by the post-it note with yellow ink using a sponge dauber to add the sun to the scene. After letting the ink dry, I stamped the tree and leaves from Trees Three in Basic Brown ink.

To balance out the glossy look of the main image panel, I added texture in other ways. The Close to Cocoa cardstock is stamped with the Weathered background stamp. The pattern kind of reminds me of the texture of a tree trunk. I also used some textured cardstock on the card front and wrapped some fun shimmery ribbon around the image panel. The copper brads were definitely an afterthought--and I think I liked the card better before I added them!

I thought I was done with the challenge--until I got home tonight and found my Stampin' Up! order at my doorstep. I just couldn't resist trying out some of my brand new stuff.

This card uses the Autumn Fest stamp set with the Joseph's Coat technique. I modified the technique slightly--instead of using black ink to brayer over the spectrum pad and heat embossed layer, I used brown ink to keep with a more fall-like color scheme. You can find a tutorial for this technique here.

The book plate is a piece of copper cardstock, cut with a Sizzix die that I found on clearance this week at AC Moore for just $4.

Be sure to check out what the other bloggers in the group have done with spectrum pads (see sidebar to the right for a list of their blogs). With such a creative group of stampers, I'm sure I'll find lots of new things to try after looking at everyone's blog!

Materials Used (Tree Card):
Trees Three, Wonderful Words II, and Weathered background stamp sets, Summer Sun and Basic Brown Classic ink, Pumpkin Pie Spectrum Pad, So Saffron, Summer Sun, Close to Cocoa, and Glossy White cardstock, 1 3/8" circle punch , sponge dauber(Stampin' Up!); textured cardstock (DCWV stack); shimmery ribbon (May Arts); copper brads (Making Memories); Post-It note

Materials Used (Leaf Card):
Autumn Fest, So Many Sayings, and Sanded background stamp sets, Ruby Red, Close to Cocoa, and Basic Brown Classic inks, Pumpkin Pie Spectrum Pad, Ruby Red, Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Brushed Copper, Glossy White, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Crystal Clear embossing powder, chocolate grosgrain, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); copper brads (Making Memories); bookplate die (Sizzix)

22 comments:

  1. Great cards! Love the Josephs Coat using the Brown Ink, it has such a softer feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and I like your attention to detail - balancing the gloss with some texture... nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The JC card is exceptional - very well done -- and I love the mnasked card! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh....beautiful cards. Never thought about using Trees Three in quite that way...surely I'll have to CASE this! Great job with this weeks challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are great cards! I just purchased Autumn Fest and am waiting on it to arrive. I love how you used brown ink with this technique! Wonderful cards!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards, I especially love what you did with the 2nd card! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMMMMMM!!!! I love both of your cards! The Three Trees is such an awesome set and I love what you did with it!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man both these cards are fabulous! I love how you created the mask on the first card so you could add a sun to your design snd what a great ribbon. Also love the leaf images on your 2nd card, Very appropriate for the season & so colorful. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both cards are just GREAT! Love the Joseph's coat and love how you did the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards are beautiful! Love the Josephs Coat!!! The brown is fantastic for a fall card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both of your cards Lori! The sun behind the trees looks so great! It really makes the spectrum background look like a beautiful sunset.

    And the Joseph's coat technique looks great with the close to cocoa ink. It's less harsh than with black.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori, these two cards are gorgeous. They really evoke the feeling of fall. The Joseph's Coat card is stunning. I LOVE it with the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning - both samples are great pieces using our challenge this week - I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like the best!!!! great work

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Joseph's Coat Card ROCKS!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it with the brown ink!!!!!!!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome cards - especially love the JC one!! the colors really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both great, but I absolutely LOVE the second card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your joseph's coat card. I never would have thought of using brown ink. I never was too fond of this technique because of the black ink, but now I may have to try it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooohhhh....love all of the fall colors on these, Lori!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips