Friday, October 19, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 17

The assignment for this week's bloggers challenge was the monthly inspiration challenge. This project was inspired by a pillow from Crate and Barrel. I LOVE Crate and Barrel--I can spend hours there, wandering around just looking at all of the great stuff. I especially like the big flagship store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. This pillow caught my eye during a recent trip to the store much closer to my house. I loved the rich colors (pinks, oranges, greens, and browns) and its great texture. I think it would look nice on the couch in my living room . . .

Anyway, this project didn't end up looking much like the piece that inspired it. It is floral and does borrow colors (or ones that are similar) from the inspiration piece, though. I used the Daisy set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. Here, you can see the large and small three step Daisy images. I know I've said this before, but every time I work with these images, I am amazed at how beautifully they turn out and how easy they are to use. The images are stamped in Color Box fluid chalk inks. These work so well with the acrylic stamps.

After stamping the flower images, I sprayed the image panel with Bronze Glimmer Mist. I'm getting better at using this stuff! I put the panel in a small plastic box to hold it while I was spritzing, since last time I used the Glimmer Mist, I noticed that there was a blank spot where my thumb had been holding the paper. This seemed to work. I put the stamped flower panel on a Mellow Moss panel with distressed edges, then attached it to the cardfront.


The card is a hinge card. I scored the front panel a half inch from the fold and threaded ribbon through two holes in the scored section. It's the first time I've tried a card like this and I really like how it looks.

Be sure to check out what the other ladies in the blogger challenge group have created. It's always interesting to see what inspires people. You can find the links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Daisy stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Colorbox Fluid Chalk inks; Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Very Vanilla grosgrain, 1/8" handheld punch (Stampin' Up!); brown brad (Creating Keepsakes); Bronze Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels)

20 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Both the pillow and your card. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty card! I like the fancy fold too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your inspiration piece and your card came out lovely - the fancy fold was a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW That is just about a perfect match!! Im loving that set. I may have to splurge next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Lori! I love the pillow that inspired it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very few of my projects ever turn out like I envision...but that's the beauty of creation. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I've looked at that pillow before...goes well with my family room colors!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your card captures the rich colors from the pillow but in a softer way. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors on this card are gorgeous and I love the stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous card! I'm a sucker for a beautiful flower card and yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! - The colors you used are so pretty. I like the distressing on your card and what a pretty daisy image. - Love the pillow too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori,
    I think it doesn't always have to look exactly the same as the inspiration piece. Afterall you got inspired... to make a gorgeous card!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful!! I love the colors you used. This is currently one of my favorite sets. You rocked the challenge:)
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super sample!!! I love how your piece turned out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! And I bet that shimmer added the perfect touch! :) Great idea about using a box to hold it while you spray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's BEAUTIFUL Lori! I think you got GREAT inspiration from that pillow and it's fantastic! I will have to see about this glimmer mist stuff...sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SUPER cute!! Your stamped flowers are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Luckily, Lori is my closest friend and I have the pleasure of seeing her gorgeous creations in person! The picture doesn't do the card justice. It's so elegant in real life. The glimmer mist adds a lovely touch. And that stamp set is INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL!!! Trust me, it's really easy to use--even I lined it up! It's tops on my "to buy list." Okay, Lori, you've got to show me how to use the glitter mist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful card, and I like the hinge fold too!

    I just ret'd from my local Michael's where I picked up some new $1 clear stamp sets ... I'm off to stamp after checking updated blogs! so little time ... so much to do!

    later, alligator!
    - SueB of sueblondin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love both the pillow and the card - great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips