Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Take on Tammy

Tammy/stampertammy is the featured stamper for today's challenge on SCS. You can see her SCS gallery here and her blog, Stamp Happy, here. If you liked my card from yesterday's post using stamps from Kitchen Sink Stamps, you'll definitely want to check Tammy's blog and gallery out. She has created quite a few beautiful cards using Kitchen Sink Stamps.

I cased two different cards from Tammy's gallery for the challenge. The first was an elegant black and silver card (see it here). I loved the striking color combination, so I kept that the same. I used a different stamp set for the image on the left of the card. I inked the retired Stars & Swirls wheel with Versamark, then covered the image with silver embossing powder.

I also changed the sentiment, even though I have the set that Tammy used in her original card. I replaced it with a sentiment from the also retired All Year Cheer I set, again heat embossing the image with silver embossing powder--which, for some reason, doesn't show up silvery in the photo.

The second card used an emboss resist technique (see it here). I changed the resist technique used to Versamark resist, and also changed the image, the colors, and the layout just a little bit. I used one of the images from Stem Silhouettes for my main image. I think this just may be my very favorite set from the Winter Mini catalog--it is so versatile.

The image is matted with a scalloped rectangle punch--yes, that's what I meant. Here's my tip for making a really big scallop edged mat using your square or rectangle scalloped punches. I punched out four of the giga rectangles, then layered and pieced them together to make a mat. You'll need to cut off one of the edges of the scalloped squares or rectangles since the "bump" on the corners is bigger and you want all of the scallops along the edge to be a consistent size. Where they overlap and are attached is pretty much hidden by the image, at least as long as you don't look too closely!

Tammy's original card used a swirl stamp for the bottom section of the card. I modified that, using some patterned paper from the retired Petal Patch designer series paper instead.
There is a paper in the Fall Flowers package in the current SU! catalog that has the identical pattern, but is just a little bit darker green.

Tammy used a piece of moulding across the front of her card to cover the transition between the two sections of her card. I replaced that with a piece of brown satin ribbon. I stamped the sentiment from Stem Silhouettes on two lines, instead of straight across--and actually did this by myself without a Stamp-a-ma-jig and got it lined up perfectly on the very first try!

Materials Used (Elegant Silver Holiday Card):
All Year Cheer I stamp set, Stars & Swirls jumbo wheel, Basic Black and Whisper White cardstock, Versamark, silver embossing powder, silver cord, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); white organdy, black organdy (Joann); textured silver cardstock (DCWV's The Metallic Stack)

Materials Used (Stem Silhouettes Resist Card):
Stem Silhouettes stamp set, Pumpkin Patch spectrum pad, Versamark, Old Olive, Certainly Celery, So Saffron, and Glossy White cardstock, Petal Patch designer series paper, large oval punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); giga scalloped rectangle punch (Marvy Uchida); copper brad (Making Memories); brown satin ribbon (AC Moore)

2 comments:

  1. Lori, your first card is STUNNING! I can see the silve shine just fine! Fantastic job!
    The second card is lovely! Great emboss resist. I love those images too!!! Thanks for the tip on cutting the corners off the scallops when overlapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are wonderful,embossing looks so rich!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips