Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Voila!

I've liked the Voila stamp set since I first saw it in last year's SU! catalog. I was hesitant to buy it since I didn't feel like my coloring skills were good enough for big images like this. But, after some practice with coloring images and the addition of the set of Voila to Go accessories in the newest catalog, I gave in. Voila finally made its way to my house this afternoon and I couldn't wait to use it. I've had this idea in mind since I finalized my order last week.

I used the big chef image and the plate of goodies to decorate a 6x9 tile for a dry erase memo board. The image is stamped in black Staz-On, then colored very carefully with Sharpie markers. I say carefully because the ink in the Sharpies reacts with the Staz-on ink if the two touch and causes the black lines to smear and muddy the Sharpie colors.
After letting the image dry for a while, I sprayed it with a clear matte acrylic sealer. I created a paper "mask" for this so that only the area with the image was covered with sealer. This leaves the rest of the tile with a write and wipe surface.

The tile is displayed on a simple white vinyl display stand. You can also put a dry erase pen in the stand (in the space between the stand and the tile) so that there's always one handy.

If you'd like me to do some kind of tutorial for the tile memo boards that includes more detailed directions and photos, leave a comment to let me know.

Materials Used:
Voila stamp set, Jet Black Staz-on (Stampin' Up!); Sharpie markers; white 6x9 tile (Home Depot); stand (Xylem Designs); clear matte acrylic sealer (Patricia Nimock brand)

7 comments:

  1. GREAT idea Lori! I think your colouring skills are awesome! I've loved this set too and have wanted to order it. Maybe I will soon after seeing what you have done. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny that you posted this today! I've had my Voila for about 6 months and haven't used it -- today I made a card using it too! I think it would make a great gift. I'd love a tutorial if it's more involved than it looks. Your description was great though! jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea! Great job coloring the image! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea! You did a fantastic job coloring in the chef too - I know I wouldn't have the patience to be that careful, or I'd make it to the end then smudge it all up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! So it's a dry erase board? That's awesome. And it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I would love to see a tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool idea! Turned out so well. Thanks for sharing!

    Shawn K.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips