Friday, December 21, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 26

This week's challenge was to create a card that includes something that moves. There are so many options for this that are so much fun to make (spinner cards, flip flop cards, waterfall cards, sliders) that I had a hard time deciding which one to do. I ended up deciding on making a shaker card.

This idea has been on my mind since I first saw the circular cupcake elements in the Happy Birthday Cupcake set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. I had to wait until my complete set of Nestabilities circle dies arrived before I could try the card like I was envisioning it, though.

I wanted to do a bright, colorful birthday card, so I used this scrap of patterned paper for the cardfront. I didn't think the patterned paper would be sturdy enough for the cardfront by itself, so I layered it on a piece of Cool Caribbean cardstock and sewed the layers together. I used my new Janome Sew Mini sewing machine for the stitching. It's really easy to use, but for the life of me, I can't stitch a straight line! I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, either, so I guess it would be expecting too much to be able to sew a straight line . . .

For the shaker portion of the card, I stamped one of the cupcake images with several colors of chalk inks. The shape of the Versa Magic Dew Drop ink pads makes it easy to ink up just a portion of the image. I colored part of the cupcake image with Copic markers and added some glitter to the image with Copic Spica glitter markers.

I made the frame for the shaker by cutting a scalloped circle with one of the Nestabilities dies, then placing a regular circle inside and cutting again to form the frame. I used the same regular circle die to cut the opening in the layers on the front of the card. The great thing about the Nestabilities dies is that you are not limited in where you make a cut in the paper. With a punch, your placement is limited by how far the punch will reach from the edge of the paper.

Be sure to check out what the other talented blogger challenge players have come up with for this challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.

Materials Used:
Happy Birthday Cupcake stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Thatched Straw and Turquoise Gem chalk inks (VersaMagic-also available at Kitchen Sink Stamps); Rouge chalk ink (ColorBox); patterned paper (Marsha Pants by Starfish Dreams); Tempting Turquoise, Pixie Pink, Cool Caribbean, Green Galore, and Whisper White cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, white gel pen, Tempting Turquoise grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!); markers and glitter markers (Copic); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); acetate; foam tape; confetti; sewing machine

19 comments:

  1. OMG!! Great minds............Wait till you see my challenge card! LOL!
    Love your colors, and the glitter! Wicked cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute...love the cupcake shaker. Great creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I absolutely LOVE your card! So bright and cheerful--as much as I love the holidays and everything about holiday decorating, there is nothing like a bright and cheery card like yours to brighten up the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I really meant "Lori!" LOL, I just visited Lauren's site, so must've had her cute card on my mind as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bright colors of your birthday shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute shaker card Lori! Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shaker card Lori! Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful card! Love the confetti you put in the shaker and the colors are so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute - love the shaker embellies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute shaker card! I love that little cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great. Mine looks so boring compared to yours.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love shaker cards! Haven't made one in ages! Yours is so cute Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that bright background paper! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute! I love the fun bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lori!

    Your shaker card is so pretty! I love the bright colors! Pink is my favorite card color!

    Hope your are having a wonderful Christmas!

    Your blog sister,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooo, I love it! Shake, Rattle and Roll!!.....and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute. I love the bright colors. And I do love shakers.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips