Thursday, December 20, 2007

Blogger Sketch Challenge Duo

Since my internet connection was restored yesterday, I've been working on catching up on some blogger sketch challenges this week and wanted to share what I've been working on.

This first card is a combination of this week's SCS color challenge (Elegant Eggplant, So Saffron, Wild Wasabi) and a sketch that Lauren shared on her blog on Saturday (I said I was doing some catching up . . .). She's been showing lots of great ways to use smaller stamped images on your cards. This is something that I have such a hard time with, so her sketches are really helpful for me. For this card, I used one of the small flower images from Priceless. I stamped the image 4 times and carefully cut each image out. I glued a pearly Dew Drop to the center of each flower.

Here's the trick I used to create the evenly spaced circles on this panel. I punched out 4 circles from post it notes, being sure to punch through the sticky strip on the post it note. Then, I placed them on the panel. Since they're sticky, they stay where they're placed and I can reposition them until I get them placed just right. Once they're in place, I use the post it note circles as a guide to align the punch (I turn the punch over so I can see where I'm punching) and get the holes where I want them. They're really thin, so they don't catch on the punch and jam it up.

I originally didn't have a sentiment on this card, but it just didn't look finished. I finally decided to add the bold "happy" image from Polka Dots & Paisleys. Now I feel a little better about how the card turned out.

This second card is for Jen's weekly challenge on Stamping Therapy. This week's challenge was a sketch challenge. As soon as I saw the sketch, I knew it would be perfect for one of the newly released Stamping Bella images that arrived in my mailbox earlier this week. I used Ipodabella and a coordinating sentiment for this card. I think she'll make a great image to use when I give iTunes gift cards as presents!

The patterned paper I used on the card is a piece of double sided paper by Fancy Pants. It has a cool textured look to it and really vivid colors. I used the colors to pick the colors for the Bella image. I got some more Copic markers in the mail today (one of the "gifts to self" I mentioned in a post earlier this week), so I pulled them out to color the image. It's nice to have a wider range of shades to work with.


In addition to the Copics, I also used some other fun details on the Bella image. There's some Stickles glitter on the heart on her jeans and on the bow in her hair. I also added some fun flock to her collar and the waist of her sweater.

Materials Used (Flower card):
Priceless and Polka Dots & Paisleys stamp set, So Swirly jumbo wheel and handle, Elegant Eggplant Classic ink, Whisper White craft ink, Elegant Eggplant, So Saffron, Wild Wasabi, and Whisper White cardstock, 1 3/8" circle punch, white taffeta ribbon, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps)

Materials Used (Ipodabella card):
Ipodabella and sentiment (Stamping Bella); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); markers and gold glitter marker (Copic); patterned paper (Fancy Pants); Tempting Turquoise and Green Galore cardstock, apple green grosgrain, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); white fun flock (Stampendous); Fruit Punch Stickles (Ranger); brads (Making Memories); silver gel pen (Sakura)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas and a happy New Year, siesta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, both of them! Gotta love those Bellas!!
    Lenita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the sketch came out great! Love your HOT Bella colors!! I just got her too! cant wait to play :D Thanks for trying the ketch too! Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards!! Thanks for the tip on positioning your circles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards Lori! I love Lauren's sketches too and your card is awesome! The tilted "happy" really finishes it nicely.

    Love the bella too. She is too cool!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips