Sunday, December 9, 2007

Blue Birthday Cupcake and a Tip for You, Too

I made this card is for today's featured stamper challenge on SCS. Charlene/LilLuvsStampin is today's stamper. You can find her SCS gallery here.

You can see the card I used for the challenge here. It really doesn't look much like the card I ended up making, but I guess that's the idea of the challenge, isn't it?
As soon as I saw Charlene's cute penguin card, I thought that the design would work really well with the smaller cupcake image from Happy Birthday Cupcake from Kitchen Sink Stamps. I think it was the handwritten sentiment that circled the penguin image on Charlene's card that made me think about the cupcake image.

I ended up changing the orientation of the card and changing the shade of blue I used here. I also omitted one of the layers--the white embossed panel--because I couldn't cut a scalloped square that looked right with my scallop edged scissors. I think the white layer might have added a nice pop to the image . . .

The cupcake image is actually attached to the inside of the card using dimensionals. I used my new set of Nestabilities circles along with my Cuttlebug to cut through the scalloped circle and the cardfront to make the opening. My cut isn't as centered as I would have liked--I think I need a little more practice with these to get the hang of them. I colored the cupcake image with Copic markers and added some glitter to the flame.

I stamped the "make a wish" sentiment from the Happy Birthday Cupcake set on a scrap of ribbon and attached it to a Ruby Red panel along the bottom of the cardfront. The sentiment is a perfect fit for 1/4" grosgrain ribbon! Fun and easy to do. I borrowed this idea from fellow Kitchen Sink Crew member Erika. She did this on a card she shared on her blog at the start of the weekend. You can find her card here.

Here's a tip for figuring out how to place the images so they'll fit and be spaced correctly. I set the ribbon out on a piece of scrap paper, then stamped the images on the scrap paper, just above the ribbon, to check for placement and fit. By using the scrap paper, I can try out placement a few times before putting the ink on the ribbon. When I'm ready to stamp, I just line up the ribbon (or piece of paper) right under the line that I want to use for a guide. Since I know that probably didn't make much sense the way I tried to describe it, I took a photo of my work space ( a small and not messy part of it!) to show you what I mean.

Materials Used:
Happy Birthday Cupcake and Backgrounds & Borders sets (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Blue Bayou Classic ink, Blue Bayou, Ruby Red, and Whisper White cardstock, white gel pen, mat pack and paper piercing tool, corner rounder, white grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); circle dies (Nestabilities); giga scalloped circle punch (Marvy Uchida); Copic markers; Platinum Stickles (Ranger)

14 comments:

  1. a wonderful blog that you have with tutorials and great cards on display. Thanks for sharing the "how tos."
    Bela
    belascreatingplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is super cute! I love it. I might have to case it and try it myself :D I'll let you know if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute card...like the stamped ribbon and scalloped piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, this card ROCKS!!!! Love your blog and came to play Tag!!!

    You're it!!!

    Link to my blog for the details!!!!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. Love how you did the make a wish on the card. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome card, Lori! I love the stamping on ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute Lori! Great tip on stampin on ribbon I will have to try it:)
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job Lori! Your card came out great and the stamped ribbon is awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card: love the original layout and colours. Thanks for sharing the awesome ribbon stamping pointers! :0) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute...love the sentiment on the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute Card.. Love the colors.
    Thank you for sharing...how to
    stamp on the ribbon tip. I will
    give that a try.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. This card is so cute! Love the stamping tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! Thanks for the tip on stamping ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips