Friday, January 18, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 30

This week's blogger challenge was a color challenge using Blue Bayou, Real Red, and River Rock. I've used this color combination before and liked it, even though I know there are quite a few people who are not fans of River Rock. I think it's a lot like Sahara Sand--not in terms of color, but in how people feel about it. It's one of those colors that either you like or you don't and, like Sahara Sand, it's very versatile. Depending on which colors you pair it with, it looks very different.
I used one of my new SU! stamp sets here, Pun Fun. The images and sentiments are a lot like last year's Sell-a-bration set So Punny, but larger, so I think they're much easier to use for cardmaking. I stamped the rocket image on Blue Bayou cardstock, then again on a scrap of white cardstock. I colored in the image on the white paper using Copic markers, then trimmed closely around it. There's a clear plastic bauble (faux Dew Drop) over the rocket's window. A lot of times, I'll cover a window with Crystal Effects to make it look like it's glass. This was a fun alternative for a circular window. I attached the embellished rocket to the Blue Bayou piece with dimensionals, then used a Stardust pen to add sparkle to the starry blue sky.

I used a strip of Blue Bayou Prints Series designer paper along the left side of the card. I tied a piece of the new red striped grosgrain (so nice!) around the patterned paper, then added a narrow strip of paper pierced red cardstock to one edge of the paper.


Since the card has a space theme, I added a few other space-related touches. I randomly stamped the star image from the new Classic Backgrounds set in River Rock on the River Rock cardstock. I also added a big star that I made using the large star punch in the SU! catalog. I was able to punch through a thin piece of chipboard with the punch and layered a red punched out star over that so it had some dimension.


I think this would make a really cute Valentine's Day card for a little boy. Fun image, more masculine colors . . . I restrained myself from adding glitter to the star to keep it more boy-like. It may just be what I give to my best friend's little boy for this occasion (like she'll actually let him keep the card--who am I kidding?)

Be sure to check out what the other blogger challenge players have done with this color combination. I'm sure they've come up with lots of creative ways to combine them into something amazing.

Cosmo and I are heading to the beach for the long weekend. Yes, it's cold and not beach weather, not that if it were Cosmo would venture anywhere remotely near the water (sometimes I wonder if there really is any golden retriever in this dog??). It will still be nice to have a change of scenery for a few days (and visit the outlets for a little shopping, too!). I plan to post a few cards over the weekend, even though we only have crummy dial up internet service at the beach house.

Materials Used:

Pun Fun and Classic Backgrounds stamp sets, Real Red, Blue Bayou, and River Rock cardstock, Blue Bayou Prints Series designer paper, mat pack and paper piercing tool, red striped grosgrain ribbon, large star punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); rectangle and scalloped rectangle dies (Nestabilities); Stardust pen (Sakura); markers (Copic); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); clear plastic floral accent (Michaels)

27 comments:

  1. Super cute card! This stamp set is on my wish list! I think it's so cute!! Love the dew drop on the rocketship window too! Cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - perfect VD card for a boy - love the new grosgrain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous. Love that rocket.
    Very cute-like the star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE card. I like this combination, too -- and I like River Rock -- it is a neutral, don't you think? Have fun at the beach : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a "rock-in" fun card. Great design and it works so well with these colors! Wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this card and the little rocket ship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your card and have been debating about this set. I have a daughter that will be 2 and I know other children's birthday parties are in future. This would be a good set for that I think.

    Isn't there a wheel with lines that we could use to make the paper striped like that? Hmmm, that would be a fun wheel.

    Okay, great card. Long comment. Sorry!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, this is a super cute card! Love the colors and the dew drop over the window! This rocket looks like it's ready to blast off! Have fun at the beach and try to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just adorable. Love this set,can't wait to order it. You did a fabulous job with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful boy card!!!! I love it! You did great with this challenge! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is just darling - you did an awesome job with the color combo challenge!! Have fun at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable!! Love that cute image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE it!! I SO want that set! The little rocket ship and hippo are so cute! I love what you did here. Great layout, great job! You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card and the colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute card. Love the little rocket ship.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is fantastic! I love this color combination! Love the rocket and the star! Have a great time at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. super cute - love how this looks and the ribbon is yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very cute!! Love coming back to your blog to see what kind of new project that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too cute!........

    Now I want to get that set!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a cute card, I love all the detail on it. And yes you are right, the little boy might be lucky enough to get to open the card, but he won't keep it ;-)

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the rocket ship! You did an awesome job (as usual) with the colors and layout. Please, please, please give that to me, I mean Jake, for Valentine's Day. You know he'll say "Ahhhhhh ROCKET CARD!!!" This may actually be a card that he won't let me pilfer! Hope you're having fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!!! this is SUPER CUTE!!! I love all the little details on your card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous card! Terrific job with the challenge...not an easy one in my opinion but you BLASTED it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is perfect for a boy but if you want to send it to me...hee hee

    Your card is awesome, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that rocket and this layout rocks! (sorry, I just had to say that!! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Playing catchup today on the BCG cards. What a great card. This is image is perfect for these colors and I super like your card layout and all the great elements you used on it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great card for a boy! I love the colours too!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips