Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snowy Day, Snowy Card

In honor of the snowy weather we're experiencing here today, I did a wintery, snowy card for Week 3 of Sarah's year-long challenge. As I've said before, the Washington, DC area doesn't handle snow well (a big understatement). We don't get enough of it to have the serious snow removal equipment like I got to know when I lived in Wisconsin and we're often just on the snow/ice/freezing rain line, so some of the stuff just isn't easy to manage, even with snow removal equipment. I dread days like these, knowing that my 10 mile commute to and from work may take several hours . . .

Anyway, here's my snowy card using Snow Flurry from Kitchen Sink Stamps for the main image. Sarah's challenge was to use a shade of gray--which is such a hot color right now--and just a splash of another color, along with the sketch she provided. I chose turquoise for my pop of color. I realized when I went to post this that I deviated *a little* from the sketch since I didn't have it in front of me while I was working on it--oops! The sentiment is on the image panel instead of the card front, but I think it still works.

I stamped the main image in Basic Gray classic ink, stamped off once first for a lighter shade. I stamped the sentiment from the Never a Loss 4 Words set in turquoise craft ink. I was going to heat emboss it with sparkly embossing powder, but my heat tool is still recovering from all the work it did while installing my windows (I think a replacement is in order . . .). I sponged some turquoise ink along the edges of the white panel for just a little more color, then tied a piece of turquoise grosgrain ribbon around the image panel.

For the embellishments at the bottom right corner of the card, I punched out 3 7/8" circles. I attached a felt snowflakes to each circle. I added a Dew Drop to the center of each snowflake (from the Silver Bells assortment).

My newest Kitchen Sink Stamps arrived in my mailbox today, so I'm off to give them a try. You can see the three new sets (the three-step rose set is just amazing--you have to see it!) at the Kitchen Sink Stamps Store. I'm sure the rest of the design team will have some incredible samples using the new sets over the next few days.

Materials Used:
Snow Flurry and Never a Loss 4 Words stamp sets, Silver Bells Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Basic Gray Classic ink, Tempting Turquoise Craft ink, Basic Gray, Tempting Turquoise, and Whisper White cardstock, Tempting Turquoise grosgrain ribbon, glue dots, sponge, circle punch (Stampin' Up!); felt snowflakes (American Crafts)

4 comments:

  1. Oh I like these colours together! So pretty!
    Great game tonight eh Lori?! Very exciting and LONG shootout!haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really pretyy, I love the shape of the snow...it suggests motion and really adds so much to the card. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cute. It feels so wintery.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips