Friday, January 25, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 31

This week's challenge was to use the layout found at the bottom of page 141 of the SU! Spring-Summer Collection. The card was not the traditional card size, but one of the long, narrow ones. I don't think the dimensions of my version are the same as the one in the sample, but they worked for what I wanted to do.

I used the new SU! set Mark the Date for the large panel on my card. I made a last minute decision to pre-order this stamp set from the SU! Preview brochure. I thought it would make a nice set for masculine cards, or for scrapbooking, if I want to move in that direction. I stamped the calendar image in Basic Brown ink. The month is stamped with Snap Stamps. The companion set to this one, Full Calendar, has a stamp with the name of each month. It will be on my next SU! order to complement the calendar image. Since I don't have any tiny number stamps and didn't want to hand write the dates, I filled in one circle for each day of the month using the solid circle stamp, stamped off once so the ink would be lighter.

I stamped just one row of the circles from the calendar image on a scrap of vanilla paper and stamped the tiny heart from Mark the Date on one of the circles. I used a 1/4" circle punch to punch out the circle with the heart. Then I figured out which circle would represent February 14 (I counted and recounted a few times, just to be sure . . .). I glued the punched out circle over the circle that represented February 14. This raises the circle just the tiniest bit to make it stand out. I covered the heart with some Stickles for extra emphasis.

I used the heart images from Sweet Shapes for the circular piece. The paper piercing around the edge of the circle panel with the heart was done with the Punches Plus brass template. This template makes it so easy to paper pierce in a nice, even circle.

I added a sentiment to the right of the calendar image using stamps from Everyday Flexible Phrases. The set has the word "your," but not the word "you," so I used a marker to just ink up the part of the word I wanted. I really wish this set had "you" in it, too.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge participants have created using this layout. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right side of my blog.

Tonight I'm going with family and friends to a Washington Wizards basketball game. My parents have been faithful Washington Wizard season ticket holders for many, many years (pretty much most of my lifetime). As a thank you for their ongoing support, the team is treating them (and their guests) to an evening in one of the fancy skybox suites, along with fancy food and drink and a limousine ride to and from the game at the Verizon Center. Last time we sat in a box, we got to meet a famous former player, so maybe that will happen again tonight. It should be a fun evening.

Materials Used:
Mark the Date, Sweet Shapes, and Everyday Flexible Phrases stamp sets, Basic Brown and Ruby Red Classic inks, Chocolate Chip, Real Red, Very Vanilla, and Kraft cardstock, Ruby Red marker, Punches Plus Classy Brass template, mat pack and paper piercing tool, 1/4" circle punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Snap Stamps (Karen Foster); wide red grosgrain (Michaels); 1 3/4" circle punch (EK Success); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); Candy Cane Stickles (Ranger)

29 comments:

  1. Super-duper cute. This is the first time I've seen this set used, and it looks fabulous. Great job with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful card Lori! I've debated ordering this set too! Love how you popped the heart on the 14th!
    Have a FAB time at the basketball game! Been many years since going to an NBA game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Your card looks GREAT! What a perfect set for this layout! LOVE IT! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love how you used the calendar. How flippin cute is that. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with this weeks layout challenge - using the calendar as your focal image worked out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! That set never caught my eye...until now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea for that stamp set - you did an awesome job! Super cute!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgoodness - I keep looking at this set and thinking that I wouldn't know what to do with it! this is awesome!! love the heart for V-day too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so CLEVER! What a GREAT idea for a Valentine. I love your interpretation of this challenge! And, of course, I don't have that calendar stamp...guess what is going on my order next month? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea, this is adorable. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just ordered this set too! I love what you did with it. I will be casing this one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative--love the calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, great job with this challenge! I have this set and haven't used it yet--love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative this week! How cool is that card???? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so cute! Love that little red heart! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for the calendar. Really cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute -- I'll bet you can fashion a ton of different cards with this idea. Now i need that set! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lori!

    I love your card! It's fabulous! You did a wonderful job with that stamp set! It's a great Valentines card! Very creative.

    Your SBS2 sis,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lori,
    I just got this set Wednesday night. I really like what you've done with it and have even more incentive to play with it now that I've seen such a great example of what can be done !

    Lori SBS2

    ReplyDelete
  20. How did I ever get such a talented daughter????? Love the card- it's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori! I have been struggling with that set (that I HAD to have) and I thank you for a fab idea to use it! Super card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lori, thanks for your comment. I love your card btw (I like all your cards, btw -- even if I don't comment each single one :))

    It's funny that you're going for instruc. tech. I am an adjunct prof. where I work at teaching intro to inst. tech, two production courses, and an undergrad course that introduces teachers to be to multimedia. Glad to know we have similar interest in career fields :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've been tagged...if you want to play along check out my blog! Have a GREAT weekend! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really inkspiring...very creative, cute and clever. Luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cute. I love it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. SO SO Cute!! I did a card similar for my dad's birthday and one for someone at work! Everyone loves these kind of cards because they are so personal!

    Your Fellow Sister: KAT Paper Crafts
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips