Saturday, January 26, 2008

A or B?

I made this card for Beate's weekend sketch challenge using my once used (and only for the sentiment!) Baby It's Cold Outside set from My Favorite Things. I picked this set because I thought the image of the woman with the snowman would be a great fit for the main image panel.

This week's sketch was a relatively simple one--not many layers and not a lot of panels to fill up. I stamped the image on shimmery white cardstock and colored it with Copic markers. This is the first time I've used the Copics on the shimmery white. I thought they were a little more difficult to blend on this type of paper, but they seemed to work okay. I stamped the sentiment on another scrap of of shimmery white. Both the main image and sentiment are layered on Almost Amethyst, then Brilliant Blue cardstock.

I used a silver brad to attach a sparkly snowflake ornament to the right edge of the sentiment panel. I found a pack of these fun snowflakes on clearance at Michaels after the holidays and thought they'd make a fun embellishment on a wintery card. The sentiment panel is attached to the cardfront with dimensionals.
After I assembled the card, I wondered how it would look if I used paper piecing for the woman's coat in the main image panel. So I stamped the image again on a scrap of patterned paper matching the paper on the cardfront, then cut the coat out and attached it to the image. In this photo, you can see the paper pierced coat. So what do you think? Do you prefer A (the Copic colored coat) or B (the paper pierced one)? I used removable adhesive to attach the coat until I can make up my mind . . .

Materials Used:
Baby It's Cold Outside stamp set (My Favorite Things Stamps); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); Almost Amethyst, Brilliant Blue, and Shimmery White cardstock, Almost Amethyst Prints Series designer paper, silver brad, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); markers (Copic Ciao); snowflake ornament (Michaels)

13 comments:

  1. Without reading your comments first and just looking at the two pics I was thrown back into 1st grade and Highlights magazine where you had to find the differences between the to pictures.

    Then I spotted it. I like the colored one better but just marginally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Kate. I kept looking and looking and finally gave up and read what you changed. LOL

    I like the colored coat just a little better too. I think with the paper pierced one it just blends in too much!

    Gorgeous card, Lori! Thanks so much for playing with the sketch.

    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with them...I spent a while trying to figure out what was different...it looks so subtle in the pictures! I like the colored one better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! I like both versions, but I think the coloured one is slightly better, as Beate says, the paper pieced one maybe blends in a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "B" for sure. But at first I thought they were the same. But I sure you can tell much better in real life. :o) Have a good one, Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer A as well, but I agree with Kate - just marginally. They are both gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to go with the majority here. Both cards are nice but I agree that on the "B" card the patterned paper blends in a little to much. Perhaps if you used the same pattern but maybe in a different tone that went with your color scheme it would stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the top card, its gorgeous, and that stamp set so has to drop into my basket one of these days lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the pieced one better, but only a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like kate's deja vu moment from childhood. only for some of us, it's really long ago!! I like A best, as well. Cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was always good at those Highlights games so I "spotted" the difference quickly but will say that they are both really nice and I'm glad I don't have to pick one over the other.

    Lori SBS2

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the pieced one more. I like the pattern of the coat is a continuation of the pattern of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me there for a moment. I was starting to think it was a trick question, LOL. I have to admit I did not see the difference, went and finished reading the post, THEN it was like, OH YA!!! How about that!!!

    Well....I like the second one better. I think using the same paper as the layer really pulls it all together.

    Having said that, I really think they are both terrific :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips