Thursday, January 3, 2008

Felt Flower Fun

This card is for today's Ways to Use It challenge on SCS. The challenge was to use some kind of flowers. Well, my way to use flowers here isn't too creative or out of the ordinary, but I really like how it turned out.

This card uses a combination of southwestern and equestrian images from Starving Artistamps. I created a pattern on the Creamy Caramel cardstock by alternately stamping one of the scalloped ornamentals and the small flower. These were much easier to line up accurately than I thought they'd be. It made for a subtle but interesting background--leaving the cardstock blank would have been too blah!

I stamped the horse image in a rusty brown ink and sponged some ink around the image, too. I set the image panel on a rust piece of cardstock with distressed edges. On the light blue piece, I used the direct to paper technique, rubbing the cardstock lightly with matching ink. Then I ran a simple zig zag stitch along the left side of the panel.

I layered two felt flowers here and attached them together with a copper brad. A glue dot was all that was needed to stick them to the card. They add a nice texture to the cardfront and I love the brown/blue color combo.

I think that with a few alterations, this card (main image, layout, and color combination) could be used for a masculine card. Removing the felt flowers and the ornamental images and using a different image on the cardfront would give this card a totally different feel.

Materials Used: scalloped ornamentals (#6203) and silhouette horse # 2 (6210-B) images (Starving Artistamps); Creamy Caramel and Soft Sky Classic inks, Creamy Caramel, Really Rust, Soft Sky, and Very Vanilla cardstock, distressing tool (Stampin' Up!); Coffee Bean pigment ink (Brilliance); felt flowers (Prima and American Crafts); copper brads (Making Memories); sewing machine

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh, two of my favorite colors together! Brown and blue. And I love the rust thrown in there, too! :) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! I really like how you combined all the elements!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty~ love the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great color combo!
    It really makes the horse pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I love the flowers!

    ~Lynda

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips