Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Loves Me, Loves Me Not

So, let me start by saying that this is one of those things that looked better in my mind than it did once I actually tried to execute it. I have seen the other Kitchen Sink Stamps design team members create such great projects by combining the heart images and the "loves me" and "loves me not" sentiments from the Love & Luck set, so I thought I'd give it a try.

My vision was to create a card with interactive elements--a trio of tags that, when removed from their pockets, revealed the sentiments. I started by stamping three heart images on scraps of shimmery white cardstock and punched them out with a tag punch. I added ribbon pulls to the tags, securing them with a red staple.

While waiting for the ink on the tags to dry, I used my sewing machine to create pockets for the tags. I sewed a scrap of acetate to a layered piece of cardstock using a zig zag stitch. This was the first time I've tried sewing acetate with my little sewing machine and it seemed to work okay. Here's how I got the pockets to be somewhat even. Before sewing, I arranged the tags where I wanted them on the cardstock strip. I shifted the tags up from the bottom of the cardstock to leave a space to stamp the sentiments. Then, I stamped the sentiments from Love & Luck, using the tags as a guide. Once the ink had dried, I had a perfect guide for my stitching.

I still like the idea--I'm just not wild about how this looks. Though, the more I look at it, I think the card is starting to grow on me. I may have to try it again with something a little different.

Materials Used:
Coffee Bean and Pearlescent Poppy inks (Brilliance); Chocolate Chip, Rose Red, and Shimmery White cardstock, Rose Red Prints Series designer paper, slit punch, Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon, tag punch (Stampin' Up!); sewing machine; acetate; white cardstock (Georgia Pacific)

12 comments:

  1. this is so cute.. love your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love the acetate stitcnig with the sentiments behind them! SO great!!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Lori!! What a great idea and very well done !:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think it's pretty darn cute! I love the idea...fab job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you're being too hard on yourself; but I think it's a crafter's curse. It's very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a FUN and CLEVER idea! It looks great and your stitching is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks wonderful, Lori! Love the hidden messages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "We are our own worst critics"
    This is a great card!!
    I love all the elements...
    great colors..stitching..tags..
    scallops etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I like it, I like it alot!! Everything is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it turned out great! I like the idea of having to pull the tags to see the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How oculd this have looked any better?--even in your mind! I'm wild about it. The sewing acetate is a brilliant idea. You really are simply amazing! You always have so many great projects with fresh new things. Gotta go do some homework (BIG time) but I'll be back to drool! :0) Mel

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips