Friday, February 29, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 36

This week's blogger challenge was to use the layout found on page 44 of the SU! Spring Summer Collection. The card pictured in the catalog had some elements that I really liked, so I tried to incorporate them into the layout.

I used a color combination that I used a lot when I first became a demo--Mellow Moss and Perfect Plum--along with a few other accent colors. I used a little bit of the versatile River Rock here. The color combo looks much better IRL than in the photo.

I stamped the outline flower image from Wonderful You in Elegant Eggplant ink on Confetti White cardstock (that explains the speckles on the paper!). Then I stamped the solid flower image in Perfect Plum. I added a bit of Dazzling Diamonds to the flower's center. I used the smaller photo corner from the photo corner punch at the top left corner of the image. This punch is one of my favorite recent additions to the SU! line of punches. I find myself reaching for it a lot.

The card pictured in the catalog featured sewing machine stitches around the main image. I liked the look of the outline around the image, but didn't think it would show up too well here. So, I adjusted that idea and used the mat pack and paper piercing tool to make tiny holes in the cardfront, outlining the main image and the mats.

I also liked the use of the patterned paper for the strip across the cardfront. I found this scrap of dotted paper from the retired Apple Cider paper pack and added that to the front, along with an Elegant Eggplant mat to tie the colors together. I wrapped a piece of ribbon around the panel. This was actually an afterthought--well, not really an afterthought, but something I forgot. I planned to do this, but forgot to before I glued all the pieces together. I was able to carefully separate the layers and wedge the ribbon under the panel without doing any real damage . . .

Since my main image panel was long, I didn't have much room left for a sentiment. The original layout had a much larger sentiment than what I ended up with. I picked one of the sentiments from Short & Sweet and stamped it in Elegant Eggplant so it would stand out.
Be sure to check out what the other talented blogger challenge group members have come up with for this week's challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.

Materials Used:
Wonderful You and Short & Sweet stamp sets, Elegant Eggplant and Perfect Plum Classic inks, Elegant Eggplant, Perfect Plum, River Rock, Mellow Moss, and Confetti White cardstock, Apple Cider designer paper, mat pack and paper piercing tool, photo corner punch, Elegant Eggplant grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!); Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps)

27 comments:

  1. Wonderful card...love the colors and your card piercing really adds so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the added details - the paper piercing around your image layers really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, it's wonderful! Those were some of my first colours when I got into SU! too! haha! Great job on the Blogger Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pearls and piercing rock. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty -- love the baubles in the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very pretty - love this color combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card! I love those colors and your paper piercing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh very soft and pretty. Love hoe you tied the ribbon around the panel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful card, great attention to the little details really makes this card stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job on the Blogger's Challenge layout! I haven't used my dew drops yet...love how you used yours on the photo corner punch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how things go in and out of style - love how you worked magic with this card - and your paper piercing really sets off the card - fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite color combos!!! love the dotted paper and baubles!!! great sample.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty Lori! I love the look of the dew drops on the photo corner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card, I love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!!
    I love the colors...
    great details..nice piercing.
    and Beautiful ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your colors Lori! I agree - those were some of my first favorites as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card! Love that color combo! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty. Lovely color combo, and the dew drop is a nice accent along with your photo corner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love that you added river rock to the classic plum/moss combo! Such a wonderful card, especially the piercing detailing around the main piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty! I love the color combination! Such a great image!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it!! Awesome color combo and I love the simplicity,it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so pretty, and I love the color combination!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this card! Purple and green are my faves! The stitching around the element is awesome! I don't know if I have done that, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This card is so beautiful! I love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips