Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Out on a Limb

This is my first try with the Out on a Limb stamp set from Papertrey Ink. The card is based on a sketch from Jen's blog. The images made me think of earthy, neutral colors, so I started with some kraft cardstock as the card base.

From there, I stamped the branch and leaf images on a piece of vanilla cardstock using chalk inks. I left just enough room for the sentiment in the bottom right corner of the panel. "Life" is a completely separate stamp, so it was easy to place (and to stamp in a color that was different from the rest of the sentiment). I used a piece of sponge to sponge just a bit of brown ink around the edges of the vanilla panel to make it blend in more with the look of the kraft cardstock.

I replaced the small sentiment panel in the original sketch with a piece of ribbon. I used the horizontal slot punch to create a hole for the celery satin ribbon. I punched the holes through one cardstock layer at a time. I started with the image layer, punched that, then moved on to the next panel. I centered the image layer on the first mat, then used the hole in the image layer as a guide for punching the hole on the mat. Then, I glued the layers together and repeated for the next panel and for the cardfront. That punch is just not made to punch through multiple layers of thick cardstock, so this helps to get the job done.

I'm expecting some new stamping stuff to arrive tomorrow or the next day from both Kitchen Sink Stamps and Starving Artistamps. I guess it's a good thing I'm coming home from work early tomorrow for some repair work at my house--more time to stamp!

Materials Used:
Out on a Limb stamp set (Papertrey Ink); Jumbo Java, Spanish Olive, and Tea Leaves chalk inks (VersaMagic); Certainly Celery, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, and Kraft cardstock, Fall Flowers designer paper, rectangle slit punch (Stampin' Up!); satin ribbon (Michaels)

16 comments:

  1. Lori, this is beautiful! I love the sentiment and main image! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly gorgeous card - I LOVE the colors - LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo pretty. Love the colouring on that branch. I've got to break out my markers! :0) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I so wanted that set but then there was that problem with it and so now I must wait. I think this is so beautiful! Nice joB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Lori! That layout works wonderfully with this stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stiking Lori..The green really pops!! great card, very fun & fresh looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful card! I love that set, it is so inspiring and pretty! Great job!

    Geny C.
    http://madisonavenue.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. The colors are great and you used the perfect designer paper for this card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful!! i keep telling myself that i don't need that set, but you are pushing me over the edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful, Lori! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I love the colors and I am really loving this stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so pretty, love the sketch and sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lori! The card is fabulous! I love the green color and the calming effect it gives. Your card looks very earthy! Great job!

    Your SBS2 sis,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful card! You did a great job on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips